The much-awaited hatchback from Hyundai has been launched. There’s no denying in the fact that the wait was worth a while. Hyundai i20’s 3rd generation will be taking on the segment’s best-seller, the Maruti Suzuki Baleno and the safest car in the segment, the Tata Altroz. So, has the 2020 Hyundai i20 got what it takes to re-establish the position as the ‘King of Hatchbacks’ vs its rivals? Let’s find out!
First things first, the looks!
It does look like the Hyundai i20 is somewhat inspired by the Hyundai Verna in terms of the front fascia. That being said, the Jewel pattern chrome front grille along with the angularly shaped LED projector headlamps and projector fog lamps adds the sensual sportiness to the car. The sculpted sloping bonnet also looks stunning and goes with the design well. The R-16 Diamond cut alloy wheels seem to have a great impact too. As for the rear, it is safe to say that Altroz, as well as the i20, offer a great appeal to the eyes. As far as the Maruti Suzuki Baleno is concerned, the segment topper is simple yet elegant in terms of looks. Do let us know in the comments section below about which hatchback will you prefer?
2020 Hyundai i20 vs Rivals | Performance
With i20, Hyundai has offered a plethora of engine and transmission options. But does it harness the power to take on the rivals? Let’s find out.
Petrol Engine Comparison
|Hyundai i20||Maruti Suzuki Baleno||Tata Altroz|
|Engine||1.2-litre Kappa||1.2-litre DualJet VVT||Revotron 1.2-litre|
|Power @rpm||83ps @6,000(MT)
|88.9ps @6,000||86ps @6,000|
|Torque @rpm||114.74Nm @4,200||113Nm @4,400||113Nm @3,300|
|No. of Cylinders||4||4||3|
- if the power figures are concerned, Maruti Suzuki Baleno marginally offers better performance. The 12-litre Kappa Petrol at the Hyundai i20, when mated to an IVT, offers a good power figure too.
- I have personally driven Tata Altroz as well as Maruti Suzuki Baleno. As far as the 1.2-litre Kappa is concerned, Hyundai offers it with the Hyundai Verna too. The 3-cylinder engine at the Altroz feels underpowered and at the same time, the engine vibrations are high.
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno does offer a brilliant comfort ride. Hyundai i20 offers a good low ride quality at high speeds.
Hyundai i20 | Turbo Petrol Engine
|Engine||1.0-litre Turbo GDi Petrol|
|Transmission||7-speed DCT / Intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT)|
|No. of Cylinders||3|
- There is no comparison here. i20 comes with the tried and tested 1.0-litre Turbo GDi petrol engine with two transmission options, one the best in class and the other first in class.
- Although the engine is a 3-cylinder one, it has got a great refinement.
- The engine offers best in segment performance making the i20 stand apart.
Download The GoMechanic App Now!
Maruti Suzuki does not offer any diesel engine option. So, if the diesel engine is what you are looking for, Tata Altroz and Hyundai i20 are to be compared.
Diesel Engine Comparison
|Hyundai i20||Tata Altroz|
|Engine||1.5-litre U2 CRDi||1.5-litre turbocharged Revotorq|
|Power||100ps @4,000rpm||90ps @4,000rpm|
|Torque||240.26Nm @1,500-2,750 rpm||200Nm @1,250-3,000rpm|
|Transmission||6-speed MT||5-speed MT|
- Being similar in capacities, Hyundai i20 offers better power and torque figures.
- Hyundai i20 also offers better transmission option here.
So, overall, Hyundai i20 offers better performance when compared to the two. Maruti Suzuki Baleno also offers optimum performance. But Tata Altroz is yet to prove its mantle in this arena.
Stay tuned for features and price comparison. What do you think? Is 2020 Hyundai i20 worth the wait? Do let us know in the comments section below.
While you are at it, take a look!