Toyota has globally revealed the all-new 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback. The fourth-generation Yaris hatchback has been designed specifically for the European market. Toyota offers the sedan version of the Yaris in India, which was launched in 2018.
New Car Launch: Toyota Launches Vellfire MPV in India
2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback | Highlights
- The 2020 Toyota Yaris is built all-new from scratch and is based on Toyota’s new TNGA (GA-B) (Toyota New Global Architecture) design platform.
- Toyota claims that the TNGA platform allows for upto 40% increase in body shell rigidity compared to the 3rd generation Yaris.
- The 2020 Yaris Hatchback (European variant only) will come with three engine variants; A 1.0-litre 3-cyl with a 5-speed manual gearbox, a 1.5-litre 3-cyl with a 6-speed manual or CVT automatic. The Yaris hatchback will also come with a hybrid option, which will use the 1.5-litre unit mated to an electric motor and a lithium-ion battery churning 80hp of power and 140nm of torque.
- The Yaris Hatchback is powered by a new three-cylinder hybrid powertrain.
- The Toyota Yaris with a 1.5-litre engine gets an air-cooled lithium-ion battery which is 27% lighter than a nickel-metal hybrid pack and is capable of generating more power at a faster rate. The 1.5-litre hybrid setup is coupled with an E-Four electric four-wheel-drive system.
- Toyota is also working on the Toyota Yaris GR (Gazoo Racing) which will use a modified version of the 1.5-litre 3-cyl engine to produce more power and torque.
- The Toyota Yaris achieves a 40mm reduction in roof height without compromising on headroom thanks to its TNGA platform. The Toyota Yaris is also 50mm wider with a 60mm wider track. The wheelbase has also increased by 50mm to allow for more cabin space.
- Toyota claims that despite all these increases in dimensions, the car has reduced in length by 5mm. This means that the Yaris is less than four metres long in the European market.
- The Yaris hatchback also boasts the best-in-class turning radius.
- Feature-wise, the 2020 Yaris hatchback gets a minimalist dashboard with an infotainment screen positioned towards the driver alongside binocular shaped instrument cluster.
- Toyota calls this hands on the wheel, eyes on the road principle.
- The 2020 Yaris gets the usual Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with an 8.0-inch touchscreen as standard.
- In Safety, The Yaris gets ABS with EBD, multi-airbags, TCS and more as standard. Toyota is offering a centrally mounted airbag system between the driver and passenger.
- It is very unlikely that Toyota will introduce the Yaris hatchback in India with the Yaris Sedan already present and posting poor sales.
- The Toyota Yaris Sedan compete with the likes of Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, Hyundai Verna, Honda City in India.