It was in May 2020 when German automobile marque Mercedes-Benz teased us with a still trailer of the upcoming Mercedes-Benz S-Class set to launch in early 2021. Although previously the car as been spotted many times being tested under various road and weather condition but that too under heavy camouflage. Now reports have come that the brand has confirmed that the new-generation S-Class will make its global debut in September this year and is expected to arrive in India early next year.
To some eyes, the new Mercedes S-class looks similar to the current E-class as the new S-class supports similar LED headlights and a heavy chrome lathered front grille with three horizontal blades. So let’s have a look at what will we get to see in the new S-class.
2021 Mercedes-Benz S-class | Engine Specification
- Sadly not much is known about the engine but rumour has that the all-new fifth-generation facelift will be offered in a variety of powertrain options which will include petrol, diesel, mild-hybrid, and a plug-in hybrid.
- We can also expect, the 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-class to have a longer wheelbase and could also feature a V12-engined S600 version followed by a coupe and cabriolet version as well.
2021 Mercedes-Benz S-class | Features
- As seen in the spy shots the new 2021 S-class boasts a very simplistic dashboard which is dominated by split-screen display including a waterfall style touchscreen infotainment system and a landscape-oriented fully digital instrument system.
- The centre console is expected to function on the latest version of Mercedes’ MBUX system. Just behind the fully digital instrumental system there also appears to be a massive pinnacle which is likely to accommodate the hardware for all-the driver-assist system, followed a set of single column buttons placed just beneath the infotainment system.
- Other notable changes include automatic climate control, 8 AC vents- four studded in the centre console while 2 each at either end of the dashboard. Surprisingly the 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-class is also seen featuring a sporty yet classy spilt-spoked flat-bottom steering wheel, housing some of the rumoured capacitive touch control similar to that on the current-gen Mercedes-Benz E-class.
- We will also get to see a diamond pattern leather upholstery with two large entertainment screens mounted the front-seat backs for rear-seat passengers along with individual AC vents with bench-style rear seats.
- Coming to the tweaks on the outside, the fifth-gen merc gets an all-new heavy chrome lathered front grille with three horizontal blades along with a new set of LED head and tail lamps. While a bold chrome-bar is also seen placed just above the taillights
- Other notable changes on the outside include Twin chrome exhaust which adds that sporty touch to the already stylish car.
2021 Mercedes-Benz S-class | Rivals
We can expect this bad boy to hit the Indian shores by early 2021 and with its launch, the new 2021 Merc S-class will actively rival the likes of the BMW 7 series and will also give a tough competition to some of the high-end cars such as the Rolls-Royce Ghost and the Bentley flying spur.