KIA Motors, the South Korean auto manufacturers made its entry in the Indian automotive industry in August with its first vehicle in the premium SUV segment; The KIA Seltos.
Exclusive: Over 2,00,000 BS6 Cars Sold: Maruti Suzuki
- With its launch, it has already set a new record. KIA reported a sales figure of 6,236 units of the Seltos in the introductory months of August. Moreover, the sales figure for September is, even more, astonishing with 7,754 KIA Seltos sold.
- In a duration of just 35 days, KIA has received more than 40,000 bookings by September 25th, which is a new record set by a newly launched car in India whereas Hyundai Venue on the other registered 50,000 bookings in 60 days.
- KIA’s production plant is based in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh which has a production capacity of 3,00,000 units per annum. KIA Motors is planning to increase its production capacity of the KIA Seltos by 10,000 units to keep up with the demand and bring down the waiting period of 2 months.
- The KIA Seltos was one of the first in its segment to have a BS6 compliant engine. The Seltos was launched at an attractive starting price of ₹9.69 lakhs undercutting a massive margin for its opponents i.e Hyundai Venue which starts at a very attractive price of ₹6.5 lakhs and goes upto ₹11.1 lakhs.
- However, Hyundai managed to stay second with a sale of 6001 units for Hyundai Creta and MG Motors managed to bag the 3rd position with MG Hector with only 2000 units sold.
- The KIA Seltos is available into border-line variants Tech line and GT Line. The Tech Line has five variants; HTE, HTK, HTK Plus, HTX and HTX Plus, while the GT Line has three variants; GTK, GTX and GTX Plus.
- The Seltos comes mated with a 6-speed manual transmission and 3-speed automatic transmission.
The KIA Seltos comes equipped with BS-6 compliant engine with 3 variants:
- 1500CC/115 HP/144 NM Petrol engine
- 1400CC Turbocharged/140 HP/242 NM petrol engine
- 1500CC/115 HP/250 NM Diesel engine.