BMW has recently announced the arrival of the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé. The 2 Series Grand Coupé is reportedly India-bound will rival the Mercedes Benz CLA in India. As per reports, the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé will make its debut in the Indian market by 2020-2021.
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé | Highlights
- Positioned below the 3 Series, the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé is BMW’s first-ever small four-door car in India.
- The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé is front-wheel drive and uses the same FAAR (from “Frontantriebsarchitektur” a front-wheel architecture) as the recently launched BMW 1 Series.
- BMW has planned 3 variants of the 2 Series Gran Coupé for the European market.
- The starting model is the BMW 218i which features a 1.5-litre petrol engine producing 140hp/220nm, the BMW 220d is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine churning 190hp/400Nm. The top of the line BMW M235i xDrive gets a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder, twin-turbocharged petrol engine with all-wheel-drive which produces 306hp and 450nm of torque.
- It is still unknown that what all features will the Indian variant of the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé hold, however, the range is expected to be the same 2.0-litre diesel that powers the BMW X1. BMW could offer the 2 Series Gran Coupé as a BMW 218d with 140hp/220nm, or a BMW 220d producing 190hp/400nm.
- BMW is also considering the assembly of the engines in India The price for the Indian variant of the 2 Series Gran Coupé is expected to range between ₹37-₹47 lakh.
- The Indian variant for the 2 Series Gran Coupé is expected to be built on the UKL2 platform same as the new BMW 1 Series and the Mini Countryman.
- In terms of design, the four-door coupe looks quite aggressive, from the front, as well as from the back. The cabin of the 2 Series Gran Coupé is identical to the Coupé iteration and comes with BMW’s live cockpit which gets a 10.3-inch digital instrument cluster along with a touchscreen infotainment system.