FASTag technology in India has been making a buzz for quite some time now. While most people have already started making use of it, many still do not have any idea about this radical new toll collection technology.
Must Read: BS6 (Bharat Stage 6) | Explained
Road Transport and Highways Minister; Nitin Gadkari has announced that FASTags will become mandatory for all private and commercial vehicles with effect from December 1, 2019.
So here is everything you need to know about it.
What is FASTag?
FASTag is a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology integrated device used for making toll payments while driving through toll plazas. The money gets deducted directly from the prepaid account linked to it. It saves you from spending a considerable amount of time doing cash transactions. It is affixed on the windscreen of your vehicle/car.
The FASTag program is being implemented by Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) and National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) with assistance from Toll Plaza Concessionaires, Accredited Issuer Agencies and Toll Transaction Acquirer. Only 22 selected banks are authorized to act as Toll Transaction Acquirer for FASTags.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
- Cash payment on toll plazas takes quite a long time thus resulting in a long queue and congestion. Using this saves time and ensures a hassle-free trip on Indian highways.
- The payment transaction takes place in less than a minute. Thus, it saves fuel, as your vehicle does not stop for a long time.
- Commuters remain notified of all the transactions made through their FASTag accounts. They receive SMS alerts on their registered mobile numbers.
- Customers have the option of online account recharge through Credit Card/ Debit Card/ NEFT/ RTGS or Net Banking mode. One can even buy and recharge FASTag on Amazon and Paytm.
- They also save you from carrying cash for your toll payments. Also, you do not have to worry about paying the exact change amount on toll booths.
- Customers can access their payment statements through the FASTag web portal and FASTag App. Thus, they can have an idea about their total spending on toll plazas, which will help further in their financial planning.
- Paying through FASTag offers customers will occasional benefits like cashback offers, discounted prices and so on.
- FASTag helps in curbing air pollution while also reducing paper consumption.
- It also provides ease of management and analytics for better highway management.
Must Read: Types Of Number Plates In India
How to buy a FASTag?
Customers can visit any of the 22 certified banks through various Point of Sale (POS) locations at Toll Plazas or Issuer Agency to create a FASTag account. To know more about the same you can contact the customer care number of the issuer agency. Some banks also have the provision for online forms to request a new account.
FASTags for sale are also available on Amazon India and Paytm website as well as on their respective apps.
How to recharge a FASTag account?
- Your FASTag recharge can be done by making payment through cheque or Credit Card/ Debit Card/ NEFT/ RTGS or through Net Banking mode. FASTag account can be recharged to a maximum of Rs. 1,00,000.00.
- The FASTag recharge online procedure might differ from issuer to issuer. Hence, it is recommended to follow the steps prescribed by the respective issuing agency on their website.
- If using FASTag issued by Paytm or Amazon or through the official app, the recharge process is as simple as recharging your wallet account.
What are the documents required for a FASTag?
Documents required for Individual for issuing a FASTag account can include any of the following as ID proof and Address proof: Driving License, PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID Card, Aadhar Card
Customers are required to submit the following documents along with the application for creating a new account:
- Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle.
- Passport size photograph of the vehicle owner
- KYC documents. The KYC documents vary as per the category of vehicle i.e individual and corporate.
- Only one document can be submitted as both ID and address proof.
- For Corporate vehicles, additional documents will be required that are clearly mentioned on the web site of the participating banks or issuer Agency. The list might slightly differ from issuer to issuer.
- Customers are required to carry their original documents while visiting PoS for the purchase of FASTag.
- Any other person can provide the above documents and purchase the FASTag on behalf of the vehicle owner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is FASTag compulsory?
Yes, as per Road Transport and Highways Minister; Nitin Gadkari, these will become mandatory for all private and commercial vehicles with effect from December 1, 2019.
What if don’t get a FASTag for my car?
If you don’t get a one for your car, be prepared to cough up double the normal fee at the toll plazas on the National Highways.
What do I need to do if I lose/ damage my FASTag RFID Tag?
In case of loss of FASTag RFID tag, you will need to call the customer care executives of the respective issuer agency to block your RFID tag. If the tag/sticker is damaged, you will need to get a duplicate reissued in your name for your car.
What will happen to the account balance of the old FASTag account in case of a reissue?
Once a new RFID tag is purchased, the balance amount will be transferred to the existing FASTag account.
Is FASTag applicable for any particular kind of vehicle?
Yes, it is applicable to all categories and types of vehicles.
Can I use it anywhere in India?
Currently, around 300 toll plazas across National Highways support FASTag electronic toll collection. With time and progress in its functioning, it will become usable everywhere.
How do I generate or reset my FASTag username and password?
Once the fast tag account is created, you need to login to the FASTag Online portal of the issuer agency and register yourself to generate the User ID and Password. You will be asked to feed in certain information to generate the username and password. The process is quite simple. Though if you need assistance, you can always get in touch with customer care of your issuer agency.
Is there any validity period of the FASTag sticker/account?
Yes, currently a FASTag account has a validity of 5 years from the date of issue.
Do I need a new FASTag, if I am relocating to a new city?
No matter which city you are in, FASTag will work on all the enabled toll plazas. However, in case you relocate to another city or address, you need to inform the Issuer Agency about the same. Nothing else needs to be done.
Can I get more than one FASTag for one vehicle?
One person can purchase and use not more than two FASTag for one vehicle. In the case of using multiple tags, customers will be responsible for operational issues.
What do I need to do if I decide to sell or transfer my car?
In case you transfer or sell your car then only the Issuer Agency needs to be informed.
Things to remember
- A one-time tag joining fee of about Rs 200 is levied by the issuer agency. Moreover, a refundable deposit depending upon the type of vehicle is to be paid to the issuer agency at the time of issue of FASTag.
- The deposit amount is refunded at the time of FASTag account closure.
- You cannot use one FASTag with two or more vehicles, you will have to buy two separate tag stickers for the two vehicles.
- As per the IHMCL website, “If you reside within a range of 10 km from the toll plaza, you can avail a concession on toll to be paid via your FASTag”.