Commonly sold and very potent small hatchback in the Indian market, Hyundai Grand i10 Nios scores only 2 stars in the Global NCAP crash test. That said, yesterday many cars from the Indian car lineup went to the Global NCAP to be tested one being the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios.
Hyundai Grand i20 Nios | Equipment
So, for you to know India launched its own vehicle safety norms known as the BNVSAP, wherein many of the safety features like the dual airbags have been made mandatory in all the car across the line-up.
That said, Grand i10 that went to be tested had:
- Front seatbelt pretensioners
- Driver Frontal Airbag
- Passenger Frontal Airbag
- ABS (4 CHANNEL)
Sadly, the car lacked the child seat anchors that are a part of the BNVSAP norms, nor the vehicle possesses side curtain airbags or knee airbags. This was prominently experienced by the dummy.
Clearing out the basics, the cars going to the Global NCAP are tested for ‘adult occupancy’ and child occupancy’.
- The front two seats seemed to the good as they offer good head and neck protection.
- Due to the steering, the diver seat offers weak chest protection whereas the co-driver seat has adequate check protection.
- Further about both the front seats, knees showed marginal protection as they impact with the main dashboard members where it is mounted.
- Driver’s tibias showed marginal to adequate protection and passenger’s tibias showed adequate protection.
- Moving on the outside, the overall bodyshell was unable to sustain further loads and was rates at unstable.
- Because of all the above, Hyundai Grand i10 Nios gets an only 2-star rating. Though something better was expected from one of the best selling hatchbacks in this price range.
- Because the car does not come with ISOFIX child seat anchors the child seat was installed on via the adult seat belt and was not able to prevent forward movement.
- Also, it offered poor protection to the head and decent chest protection.
- Similarly, the seat for an 18-month-old was installed rearward facing via the adult seat belts. It offers good protection for the chest and the head.
- Because of the above points, the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios scored a 2-star rating in the child seat occupancy.
To know more about BNVSAP