Taking a cue from the massive success of the Compass, Jeep is now working on a compact SUV that is going to challenge the dominance of the new Hyundai Venue in India. In fact, Jeep is developing 2 new SUV for the Indian market; a sub-4-meter and a 7 seater SUV. As per an official statement, Jeep is not participating in the Auto Expo 2020, so, we can’t expect a sneak peek of the upcoming SUVs.
Auto Expo 2020: Volkswagen Will Reveal Upto 10 SUVs This Auto Expo
2020 Jeep Compact SUV | Highlights
- The official unveiling of these two SUVs might take place in the 2nd quarter of 2020.
- The Jeep compact SUV will be placed a tad bit higher in the price range and will host a laundry list of segment-first features including off-road 4X4 capabilities.
- Speculations are that the new Jeep compact SUV will share the same body layout and platform from the globally sold Fiat Panda 4X4.
- The in-development subcompact SUV will be the same size as the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Hyundai Venue or the Ford Ecosport.
- The lower variants of the Jeep compact SUV will be in front-wheel-drive configuration, whereas the top-model Trailhawk will feature a 4WD layout.
- As of now, the Jeep compact SUV will only be offered in a petrol engine option. The engine reportedly will be a 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine, same as the Jeep Compass.
- Jeep could use Fiat’s frugal 1.6-litre multi-jet diesel engine with BS6 complaint tweaks.
- The compact SUV could also use a 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine straight from Fiat’s FireFly line-up. The 1.0-litre turbo petrol produces 118 bhp of power and 190 nm of torque, available in both automatic and manual transmission.
- In a recent interview, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles India’s MD; Kevin Flynn confirmed that a subcompact SUV will be unveiled after the launch of the BS6 compliant Jeep Compass Trailhawk.
- Mr Flynn also confirmed that a Jeep Compass based 7-seater will also debut sometime in 2020-2021.