This seems a bit off, right? It was December of 2020 when Indian carmaker Mahindra discontinued the AX variant of the Thar. But now reports suggest that Mahindra has relaunched the base variant of the Thar and that too with a price hike.
Although Mahindra has made this official, according to the dealer price list the Mahindra Thar AX has made its way back to the existing Thar lineup. Going by the new pricelist the Thar Now starts from Rs 10.68 and goes up to Rs 15.08 lakh (EX-Showroom, Pan-India)
Moreover, this will also be the second time when Mahindra has increased the prices of the Thar.
Mahindra Thar Old Vs New Prices
|Variant||New Prices (Lakhs)||Old Prices (Lakhs, December)|
|AX MT (6)||₹ 10.68||–|
|AX MT (6)||₹11.53||–|
|AXO MT CT (4)||₹12.78||₹12.10|
|LX MT HT||₹13.38||₹12.79|
|LX AT CT||₹14.78||₹13.85|
|LX AT HT||₹14.88||₹13.95|
|AX MT ST (6)||₹11.73||–|
|AXO MT CT (4)||₹12.98||₹12.30|
|AXO MT HT||₹13.08||₹12.40|
|LX MT CT||₹13.58||₹13.15|
|LX MT HT||₹13.68||₹13.25|
|LX AT CT||₹14.98||₹14.05|
|LX AT HT||₹15.08||₹14.15|
Why Mahindra Took off From the 6 Seaters?
This started in November when the Global NCAP took Thar to test its safety. Also, it was the 4-seater version that was sent overseas to be tested.
- After the results, Thar impressed everyone with a whopping 4-star crash test rating.
- Also, the overall shell was able to withstand further loads.
- Talking about child safety, the vehicle is reassuring that it scored a smiling 4-star rating.
- This makes it the second safest car in its segment in child safety.
- As the tests were conducted with the 4-seater version with proper bench seats, the 6 seater version would have hampered these delightful crash test ratings.
- Also, it was now safe at all for the children as it was difficult to accommodate the child seat anchors
- Well, that was available in 2 variants with 2 roof configurations, hard and soft top. Now both of the variants have been discontinued and will not be available for further sale. Though some of the Thars in 6-seater configuration were sold.
What powers the Next-gen Mahindra Thar?
- The new grown-up Thar comes with 2 engine options, a diesel and turbo petrol with the latter one being more powerful.
- Talking about which, is a 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine that pushes, 150hp of max power and 300Nm of peak torque.
- The 2.2-litre diesel is also an option that generates 130hp and 300Nm of max torque.
- Both the engines come mated to either a 6-speed MT or a torque converter.