The Maruti Suzuki Gypsy has been known for its cult fan following ever since it was launched in India. The Gypsy was the most affordable 4X4 vehicle in the Indian market and gained extreme popularity in a short span of time. It’s 2019 and the iconic Gypsy has been discontinued but people still go hunting for it in the market and buy a restored version just because owning a Gypsy is a matter of pride for them!
Reports suggest that there could be good news for all the Gypsy lovers really soon!
- Maruti Suzuki has hinted towards the launch of the 4th generation Jimny as the 2nd generation Gypsy in India! Yes, the iconic Gypsy will be making a comeback with a new face and features and on top of that, it will meet all the safety and BS6 emission norms as well.
- Though the Indian counterpart of the Suzuki Jimny will not be exactly the same as the global variant, it will surely share the same platform and powertrain.
- Maruti Suzuki plans to sell the upcoming Gypsy through their Nexa dealerships which will give it a more premium feel and a stance in the lineup which will separate it from the Vitara Brezza sporting a similar design which will continue to be sold via Maruti Suzuki Arena Dealerships.
- Reports also suggest that the initial launch will introduce only the 2WD version in India in the first go and the 4WD version will follow. MSIL plans to launch the 4WD version within 6 months of Jimny’s Indian debut.
Maruti Suzuki Jimny | Highlights
- The global Suzuki Jimny Sierra is a 3-door car and the Indian counterpart will be developed with 5-doors.
- The Maruti Suzuki Gypsy will use the 1.5 litres K15B petrol engine that currently powers the Ciaz and the XL6 crossover.
- The Gypsy is expected to have a 5 gear manual gearbox and a 4-speed automatic gearbox with torque convertor.
- Maruti Suzuki is expected to keep this car in sub-4-metre range to retain all the small car tax benefits.
- The Gypsy is expected to be powered by the already existing SVHS technology but it is yet to be confirmed by Maruti Suzuki.