MG Motor India is moving ahead with its plans by expanding its product portfolio in India. MG has decided to maximise the potential of the untapped electric vehicle market by choosing to introduce the MG ZS electric SUV as its second offering in India. However, MG plans on using the CKD or “completely knocked down” route for the ZS EV SUV.
- The India-spec MG ZS EV is expected to come with an all-electric motor producing 150 hp and 350 Nm of torque.
- Using a 44.5kWh lithium-ion battery, the MG Z EV is capable of delivering a claimed range of 262km on the new WLTP testing procedure or a range of 335 kms on the older NEDC test cycle.
- The battery on the MG ZS EV can charge in 7 hours using a 7kW AC charger or in 40 minutes flat using (from 0-80%) a 50kW DC fast charger.
- Reports claim that the ZS Electric Vehicle will only be sold in a single variant. Its Korean rival, the Hyundai Kona Electric, is also sold as a single variant.
- With the MG ZS EV launch, MG Motors is hoping to get new customers into the fold in the electric car market in India. However, the company is mindful of the challenges faced by India’s troubled electric vehicle market, which is still at a growing stage in India.
- The trial production of the MG ZS EV has already begun at its Gujarat plant in Halol, earlier in 2019. At the time of launch, the retail outlets of ZS Electric Vehicle will be limited to only 5 Indian cities, Delhi-NCR, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
- In international markets of the United Kingdom, China and Thailand, the battery-electric version of the MG ZS is already being sold.
- The India-spec ZS EV will be revealed by the end of 2019 for which bookings will start in December 2019.
- The expected price of the MG ZS EV is ₹22 lakh (ex-showroom) in India.