It’s not long that BMW launched the first-gen BMW 2-series. But now, the German company has unveiled the second generation of the small coupe. The new BMW 2-series gets cosmetic as well as mechanical updates. This means, the next-gen 2 Series, is more powerful but is it better looking? Let’s get into it.
What rests under the hood?
Talking about the drivetrain and powertrain, the new 2-series gets an option of 2 petrol engines and a diesel mild-hybrid setup.
- The starting variant 220i comes powered by a 2.-litre 4 cylinder turbo petrol engine capable of generating 184bhp and 300Nm of peak torque.
- Moving to the more powerful motor, the 240i variant gets a 3.0-litre straight-six engine that generates a whopping 374bhp and 500Nm of peak torque. Also, this is the powertrain that is offered with the BMWs xDrive system.
- Talking about the mild-hybrid diesel, the 220d comes with a 2.0-litre 4 cylinder diesel that produces 191bhp and 400Nm of peak torque.
- All the engines set the power down via 8-speed automatic transmissions. And again, there is no option of a manual transmission.
Are there any cosmetic changes?
The new BMW 2 Series has been designed in order to bring it to power with the company’s new theme that can be seen on the new BMW 3 Series and Z4.
- Diving into little detail, the new 2 series get redesigned front facia, which now gets a single pod set up over the previous twin-pod headlight setup.
- With that, the number is also redesigned that lends the perfect attitude to the vehicle.
- From the sides, the basic design does resemble the old gen 2 series but there are a set of new alloy wheels on offer.
- It is the rear from where it’s hard to tell that it is a BMW. Completing the update are the new twin chrome exhausts that definitely are not fake.
Will the new BMW 2-Series come to India?
As of now, there are no speculations, neither the company has confirmed launching this coupe in India. Nevertheless, BMW did launch the previous generation of the M2 Grand Coupe in India. Hence, we assume the German auto giant may launch the vehicle in the near future.
Recommended: BMW LASER Headlights Explained!