Finally! The king of Premium Hatchbacks is here in an all-new avatar! Still, wondering about what are we referring to here? Korean carmaker Hyundai has launched the 4th iteration of the i20 hatchback.
With this launch, the competition in the premium hatchback segment has touched new heights. The i20 is already a pinnacle in the given segment and thus the new-gen i20 will make the survival of its rivals including the Tata Altroz, Volkswagen Polo, Honda Jazz, Maruti Suzuki Baleno and its carbon copy Toyota Glanza much harder.
So without any further ado let’s have a look at what the 3rd gen of the Born Magnetic hatchback has to offer.
What’s new on the Mechanical end?
|Engine||1.0-L | Kappa Turbo GDi Petrol||1.2L | Kappa Petrol||1.5-L | U2 CRDi Diesel|
|Power||120PS @ 6000rpm||83PS @6000 rpm||100PS @4000 rpm|
|Torque||171 Nm @ 1500-4000 rpm||114 Nm @1500-4000 rpm||240 Nm @1500-2750 rpm|
|Transmission||7-speed DCT/ 6-speed IMT||5-speed MT/ iVT||6-speed MT|
|Fuel mileage||20.25 kmpl||20.3/19.65 kmpl||25.3 kmpl|
- The new i20 is being offered in 4-trims- Magna, Sportz, Asta and Asta(O).
What features do we get to see on the 3rd gen i20?
- Starting from the outside, we get to see a parametric jewel pattern chrome front grille.
- It also gets angularly shaped LED projector headlamps along with projector fog lamps, offering a perfect blend of functionality.
- On the rear, we get to see Z-shaped LED taillamps, which surely are a head-turner and with the chrome strip adds more character to its overall profile and makes the rear look wide.
- Its side is yet again complimented with the much needed R-16 diamond-cut alloy wheels and along with a shark-fin antenna.
- We also get see a set of puddle lamps integrated on the ORVMs with welcome function.
- On the sides, we get to see an elegant flyback chrome beltline design adding nothing but more premium look to the new-gen i20.
- Heading in we get a sleek-looking dashboard making providing more space inside the cabin.
- Alongside the sleek dashboard, it also features a massive touchscreen infotainment system compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- With the next-gen i20, there also is a more elegant and black and red themed interior adding more luxury to its overall interiors.
- Some first-in-segment wireless charging facility, built-in air purifier, a premium 7-speaker Bose sound set-up.
- Other features include an electric sunroof and a massive 365-litres boot space.
- It also features a best-in-segment digital instrument cluster with TFT multi-information display (MID).
Does the new Hyundai i20 get any connected features?
- Yes, out of the blue the 2020 i20 comes equipped with bluelink connectivity with first-in-segment 50 connected car features.
- These features include remote engine start, climate control and lock/unlock.
- We also get to see stolen vehicle tracking, vehicle immobilization, geo-fencing, real-time POI search, speed alert and valet alert.
- Well, that’s not all with the new 2020 i20, you also get smartwatch connectivity.
What about safety?
- So, the safety package on the new ‘Born Magnetic’ hatchback includes ESC (Electronic Stability Control), VSM (Vehicle Stability Management), ABS with EBD and 6-airbags.
- The whole body of the new i20 is made with AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steel).
How easy it is on the pocket?
Variant-Wise Price (Ex-Showroom All-India)
1.2L | Kappa Petrol
1.0-L | Kappa Turbo GDi Petrol
|1.5-L | U2 CRDi Diesel||6-MT||₹8,19,900||₹8,99,900||–||₹10,59,900|