Zac Hollis, Skoda India’s head, exclaimed about the launch of a c-segment sedan in the Indian market by the end of 2021. Well, this might be concreted as recently the testing mule of the Skoda Slavia has been spotted numerous times. Although the name of the sedan is still unknown, whether it’ll be Slavia or Rapid in India. That said, the new sedan from Skoda is a part of the Volkswagen India 2.0 scheme.
Like the other cars from India 2.0, the new sedan will also be based on the MQB A0 IN platform. An interesting thing to know is that Volkswagen also has a mid-sized sedan in making called the Virtus.
What Does The New Skoda Rapid boast about?
To dial up the game in India, the carmaker is set to launch multiple products in the Indian market. And after unveiling their first India bound Kushaq, it is clear that the company is not gonna yield anytime soon. Hence, like the Kushaq, we can expect the Rapid to be filled to the brim when it comes to features.
- Speaking of which, after scouting the spy shots, it is clear that the new sedan from Skoda shares the brand’s new two-spoke steering.
- On the features part, we can expect the Skoda Rapid to get a large infotainment system, with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- All-LED headlights, with led fog lights for better visibility.
What will power the new Skoda Rapid?
This is where the party begins. This sedan from Skoda might come with a couple of fun powertrain and drivetrain options.
- So, the Rapid may get a powerful 1.5-litre Turbo Petrol TSI engine that pushes 150hp of max power and 250Nm of maximum torque. Also, it is expected that this engine will come either with a 6 speed MT or a 7 Speed DSG gearbox.
- The other engine is a 1.0-litre turbo petrol TSI motor that also does duties in the current-gen Skoda Rapid. This engine is healthy enough to produce 110hp of power and 175 Nm of peak torque. Transferring the power to the front wheels will be an option of a 6-speed MT or a 6-speed AT (torque converter).
The new Skoda Rapid will rival…
The Sedan’s market is a hit or miss these days. And the top-selling c-segment sedans are the ones that are old but are ruling the market. Well, Skoda Rapid will rival the segment leaders like the Hyundai Verna, Honda City, Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and more. Moreover, we are not sure of the price of the sedan. But we can assume you’d have to sheet about ₹9 Lakhs -16 Lakhs (ex-showroom).
So, let us know what do you think of the new mid-size sedan from Skoda?
Image Source: The Fat Biker