If you are a Delhiite and somehow love to take your car for a joyride and speed away. You might have to think again as the State government.
According to a notification shared by Delhi Traffic Police, the speed for vehicles in Delhi has been capped down to 70 kmph. According to the gazette shared by the DCP, all private four-wheelers are liable to a traffic penalty if they exceed the new 70 kmph speed limit within the city.
Additionally, the capped speed limit for all vehicles on minor roads inside all residential areas, commercial complexes like malls, as well as service lanes has been set at 30 kmph. These new speed limit norms have also been introduced to curb the number of accidents.
The department has also shared the list of selected roads where such vehicles can achieve the designated speed. These selected roads include:
- NH-48 (Delhi-Gurgaon road)
- DND Flyover
- NH-44 (Haryana-SInghu Border)
- Noida Toll
- NH-9( Delhi-Tikri)
- Ring Road Bypass (Mahipalpur towards IGI airport.)
Does this comply with two-wheelers and commercial vehicles as well?
- For two-wheelers, the speed limit has been set at 60 kmph on the above-mentioned roads.
- While the speed limit for commercial vehicles has been capped to 40 kmph on these roads with city limits.
- The speed limit for three-wheelers, buses and trucks are now down to 40 kmph across the city.
Is there any penalty?
- A person found violating these norms will be liable to pay a fine between ₹2,000 and ₹4,000 depending on the type of vehicle.
- However, speeding your car can land you with a fine of Rs 5,000.