One of the biggest Indian car manufacturers launched its brand new premium hatchback in the 2020 Auto Expo, Altroz. Due to the ever-rising competition, there have been rumours of Tata launching the Altroz with a turbo petrol engine. Well, now it has been confirmed that the Tata will launch Altroz with a turbo petrol engine on 13th January 2021.
With a more powerful engine, the Tata Altroz will become one of the hot hatches in the Indian market, but not quite literally. This is not the first time though that Tata came with a turbo petrol hatchback.
Just for you to know, a while back there was a JTP version of Tata Tiago (also Tata Tigor) that boasted of a turbo petrol engine.
Will There be any Cosmetic Changes?
The basic structure and construction are said to remain the same with minor changes on the interior and the exterior.
- Considering the exterior, the early spy shots exclaim that there will be a ‘Turbo’ badging on the hatch.
- Additionally, a new paint scheme only for the turbo variant will distinguish it from the non-turbo variants.
- On the inside, we assume the car to get a little sporty. This means it might have red accents.
- Rest will likely remain as is, after all, it does look mean and purposeful.
What will power the Tata Altroz Turbo?
- Powering this mild hot hatch is the same Revotron 1.2-litre 3-cylinder turbo petrol engine as in the Nexon.
- But it might be in a totally different state of tune or rather detuned. This means that the engine will be producing less power than its counterpart the Tata Nexon.
|Engine||1.2l Turbocharged Revotron Engine 3 Cylinder|
|Torque||170 Nm@1750-4000 rpm|
|Transmission||6-speed manual / 6-speed AMT|
- For reference, the 1.2 Revotron engine in Nexon generates 120ps of max power and 170Nm of peak torque.
- Also, this motor either will come mated to an AMT gearbox or a little more exciting 6-Speed MT with an automatic DCT following soon.
- Well, the 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine is decent. But when it comes to tech, the engine is on the back foot.
- The international rivals with a 1.0-litre turbo petrol use GDI (Gasoline direct injection). On the contrary, the Revotron is still sticking to the MPI or Multi-Point Injection.
Tata Altroz Turbo | Price and Rivals
To begin with, the Tata Altroz will obviously sit above a notch than the one with NA engine. Considering the advances, you will have to shed a little more to get one of these turbo petrol engines from Tata. Also, Altroz Turbo will likely be sold in the mid and the top-spec variants. Tata Altro will be pitched against the likes of new Hyundai i20 and Volkswagen Polo TSI. Well, the top-end Tata Altroz with NA engine is priced at ₹7.59-Lakhs (ex-Showroom).
Let us know in the comment section what do you think of this #MadeinIndia premium hatch?