The Indian automobile industry has recently witnessed the ingress of China-based auto giants to presents their portfolio in the country like the Great Wall Motors (GWM) at the Auto Expo 2020, Haval, Ora and MG Motors with the MG hector (owned by Chinese automotive conglomerate SAIC Motors). Recently a Chinese car manufacturer Fengsheng Automotive Technology Group developed this Tata Nexon EV look-alike name the Maple 30X EV.
The Chinese auto industry infamously enough has held a reputation of unabashedly cloning exact rip-offs of some of the most popular international models. Chinese Auto brands like Geely GE, Changan, Jiangnan, etc, have been making rip-offs of cars ranging literally from Maruti 800s to Rolls Royce Phantom(s). Though such cars are only sold domestically in the Chinese markets, they still form a threat to the market image of the authentic manufacturers of these cars. This concept gained popularity in China as these cars are way cheaper than the models they are inspired by.
Read More – Tata Nexon | Why It Is Better Than The Maruti Brezza
However, this time around, they seem to take a page out of the Indian Auto industry’s book. Tata Motors is the most promising Indian car brand there currently is and its latest offering in the all-new EV segment the Nexon EV has recently fallen prey to China’s rip-off strategy.
Chinese Auto brand, Fengsheng Automotive technology group recently launched the Maple 30x EV in China at a starting price which into Indian rupees @7.42 lakhs. This car’s design is a straight-up lift from the Pratap Bose’s original back here at Tata Motors. The resemblance if not identical is pretty uncanny.
Tata Nexon EV vs Maple 30x EV | A Photocopy
Even though the Maple 30x is considered a rip-off due to obvious similarities, still there are significant distinctions to how both the cars are designed.
- The first fairly witness-able similarities are the fundamental proportions and design language of both the EVs which make them seem like twins(if not identical) in the first place.
- The side profile of the two cars is a point where the resemblance further enhances, both have similar window lines, wheel arches.
- Character lines around the grill of the Maple EV also seem similar to the Nexon EV
- Inside the 30x EV, the dashboard layout also seems to have similar styling cues.
- Maple 30x has got distinct front bumper than the Nexon EV, while the bumper of the Nexon houses a set of Foglamps, the Maple EV has got LED DRLs
- The headlamp clusters of both the cars are also fairly distinct
- The rear profile of the Maple 30x EV is the most distinct part of the car, it shares very few elements with the Nexon EV.
Tata Nexon EV vs Maple 30x EV | Powertrains Differences
Both cars use technologically different electric motors and have different power figures
As per the specs of the Maple 30x, all we know that it’s electric motor is capable of producing 94HPand has a range of 306 Km on a single charge. The Nexon EV, on the other hand, produces 127HP and 245Nm of torque and gets its juice from a 30.2 kWh battery pack.
The Nexon EV can be charged from 20% to 100% in eight hours with the help of a standard home-mounted charger and can be charged up to 80% in an hour with the help of a fast charger. The Maple 30x EV can get 80% of its battery charger in 30 minutes with the help of a fast charger.
Will the Maple 30x EV pose a major threat to the Image of the Tata Nexon EV in the future? Will Tata motors take any significant actions against the Chinese manufacturer? Only time will tell.
Discover More – Top 5 Best cars under ₹8 lakh to look out for- Tata Nexon to Swift Dzire
👍 Follow us on Instagram for all the latest Automotive updates