Fueling the arriving-soon electric revolution in India, Toyota has confirmed its electric car launch for the Indian market. More specifically, Toyota is launching a BEV or Battery Electric Vehicles in the Indian shores.
Toyota Electric Vehicle | Highlights
- Toyota is developing an India-specific battery electric vehicle in collaboration with Suzuki.
- Commenting on electric vehicles in India, Toyota’s Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Shigeki Terashi said, India is, of course, one of the countries we have in mind for introduction (of battery electric vehicles). Toyota is large in Japan but has a limited presence in India. Maruti Suzuki is large in India. With Suzuki, we will explore the possibilities of BEVs (in India).
- Mr Shigeki Terashi did not confirm any timeline for the launch and said We will start with a compact BEV at an early stage.
- The new prospective electric vehicle will be a product of Toyota and Suzuki’s partnership in India.
- Earlier in 2019, Suzuki and Toyota joined hand to share resources and technology with Toyota launching the Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Suzuki Baleno).
- Toyota will provide Suzuki with its in-house developed hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) technologies in India via local procurement of HEV systems, engines and batteries.
- Maruti Suzuki, on the other hand, has been openly testing and showcasing the WagonR electric on Indian roads and has plans of deploying the car sooner next year.
- The upcoming Toyota electric car might be based on the WagonR electric with AC and DC fast charging.