EV cars are the future of the Indian car market. With this, we present to you 8 Upcoming EV cars in India from the 2 Homegrown Manufacturers – Tata & Mahindra. And you can consider and pick one of these for your next vehicle. Because, after all, what else is the way to beat the sky-scraping fuel prices!
Upcoming EV Cars In India from Tata
We all know Tata is one of India’s leading manufacturers of EV cars. It aims to expand its current portfolio of Electric cars to further get ahead. Here are 3 upcoming EV cars in India by Tata Motors
Tata Nexon EV (Long Range Version)
This upcoming EV car in India will be the earliest to launch. In fact, we have loads of other details as well. The Tata Nexon Long Range is expected to launch is in April 2022 with an expected starting price of 17-18 lakhs (ex-showroom) with an increased range of around 400 km and a bigger battery pack of 40kWH and a 6.6 kW charger fast charger.
Tata Altroz EV
This Tata Altroz EV is expected to be launched in early 2023 with an expected price of Rs.12 lakhs (since the Altroz IC engine version is similarly priced to Tigor, thus we expect Altroz EV to be priced similarly to the Tigor EV at 12 lakhs).
The range on the Altroz EV is likely to be around 300kms to 400 km (depending upon which battery pack you would choose. A larger battery pack variant may cost more, just like for the Nexon EV)
Tata Tiago EV
- The expected Launch timeline is in 2022 itself. However, we feel that it would be difficult for it to happen, which is why we can expect this in 2023.
- This can be one of India’s cheapest upcoming EV cars and can be priced around 8-10 lakhs.
- One can expect a range of around 300 km or more. The range can be more if Tata Motors provides a long-range version. This, however, is unlikely, considering it has no plans for introducing one in the Tigor as well.
Although we don’t have the Tiago EV yet, we do have a similar car from Tata’s stable – The Tigor EV. Read why The Tigor EV Should Be Your First EV Car In India!
Tata Punch EV
- The expected Launch is in mid-2023.
- Pricing can remain around 9-11 lakhs (because the Punch currently is priced between the Tiago and the Altroz, and we expect the same pricing to continue)
- The range will be completely in Tata Motors’ hands. If they bring out newer technology in the next 1 year, we might see a hike in the range, for the same price. Although if not, then the claimed range can be around 320 kms.
Also, Read – Tata Punch: It Came, It Saw, It Conquered
Tata Sierra EV
- The Sierra EV will probably be the last to launch among the upcoming EV cars in India. It is expected to be Launched in 2024-25.
- It is still too early to comment on this since Sierra has been out of production for about 2 decades! However, since Tata will be launching this after a gap of 3 years from now, we expect the EV technology to be a lot more advanced and cheaper. Thus the Sierra EV, if positioned between Nexon and Harrier in future, can be priced around 12 lakhs of today’s money (or 17.5 lakhs rupees of then, inflation-adjusted)
- Since we are talking about a car that will be launched nearly 3 years ahead in time, the EV technology will be more efficient, and thus would deliver a better range of 450 km.
A thing to note here is that all these upcoming EV cars in India are expected to be launched before 2025-26, as confirmed by a top head official at Tata Motors. (Particularly, the official said that Tata will have 10 EVs in its portfolio before 2025-26)
Upcoming Electric Cars In India from Mahindra
We have another homegrown manufacturer, but with somewhat less information about their upcoming EV cars in India.
Mahindra XUV900 Coupe EV
- It will most probably be launched in 2025-25
- Price will be more than XUV 700 – expected to start at 16-18 lakhs INR (in today’s money)
- The range is expected to be better than most common EVs nowadays, around 500 km
Read more on The XUV 900 – Mahindra XUV 900, designating GLE Coupe in the making!
The launch timeline is near and should be here with us by the end of 2022. The Price is expected to be 9 around lakhs. The range, although would be short, since it would be targeting the budget segment, just like the Tiago. The range can be around 250 km.
- The expected launch is in early 2023.
- As it will directly lock horns with the Nexon EV, it should be similarly priced between 14-16 lakhs INR.
- As showcased at the 2020 Auto Expo, the eXUV 300 had a 40 kW Battery pack, that could give a 300 km range on a single charge. So even in this regard, it would be similar to the current Nexon EV that gives a claimed 312 km range.
So that’s it for now! Now, we understand that some of you might not have the time to wait for these cars, so read this instead – In The Market For An EV? We Compare The 4 Most Popular EVs In India!
Read other interesting articles here at The GoMechanic Blog