The government has finally given a green light on the registration of the vintage two-wheelers and four-wheelers. In this notification, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has come up with new norms and regulations for vintage vehicles. Talking about vintage, these are the vehicles that are more than 50 years old. These vintage vehicles are older than 50 years from the first date of registration.
What are the new regulations?
The new vintage registration rules allow all vintage vehicles to be re-registered in their respective states.
- But to get them re-registered the owners have to produce a valid insurance policy along with an old registration certificate.
- Additionally, if the vintage vehicle was an import, bill entry of the machine is required.
- Besides, the new registration will grant these vehicles are a new format of “XX VA YY ####”. This is where XX is the state code, VA is for the vintage vehicle, YY is a two letter series. In the end, #### is the 4 digit number that will be allocated to the vehicle.
- This new registration certificate will initially cost ₹20,000 which will be valid for a decade (10 years).
- After that ₹5,000 is the renewal fee to add 5 years to the vehicle.
- The new norms also add that in case of buying and selling of these vehicles, the owner and the buyer both have to notify the respective state authorities 90 days prior.
So, does this mean we can drive this car normally? Well, no! The notification also states that these vehicles cannot be put into regular use. Nor, they can be used commercially used.
Will this really help vintage vehicle owners?
Well, after the introduction of the new scrappage policy early this year, the vintage vehicle owners were surely tensed. But the recent notification has definitely relieved the owners as now they can keep their old vehicles. Another bonus is the new vehicle scrappage policy is voluntary. This will definitely give life to the classic car and save the emotional sentiments attached to them.
What do you think of the new Vintage Vehicle regulations, were these necessary? Let us know in the comment section below.