As we bid adieu to the legendary Polo. Volkswagen has taken this opportunity to say a fitting goodbye to the legendary hatch with the launch of the Volkswagen Polo Legend Edition. The VW Polo Legend Edition marks the end of a 12-year long journey of this hot hatch in India. The Polo was first launched in India back in 2010 and has gone through many different powertrains but almost no change to the exterior.
Only 700 Units!
The Volkswagen Polo Legend Edition will only be limited to 700 units and is based on the top model 1.0L GT TSI variant of the Polo. Available at around 151 Volkswagen dealerships, the price for the Polo Legend Edition is set at 10.25 lakh (ex-showroom, India).
The power figures on the Volkswagen Polo Legend Edition remain the same as on the 1.0L TSI: 1.0L Turbocharged Petrol engine producing 110PS & 175Nm mated to a 6-Speed Torque Converter Automatic.
Ashish Gupta, Brand Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India, comments;
“The Volkswagen Polo is an iconic carline that has evoked various emotions amongst consumers. From its market introduction to date, the Volkswagen Polo has enjoyed the privilege of being the first car for a family, an enthusiast’s dream and the preferred choice for a mother owing to its timeless and sporty design, safety, fun-to-drive experience and strong build quality. The Volkswagen Polo has been the brands’ much-loved product that deserves a grand celebration. For this, the brand is introducing the celebratory limited “Legend edition” for the enthusiasts who will take pride in owning the last limited units of the iconic Polo.”
#Legend You Will Be Missed!
In the running span of a decade and more than 2.5 lakh units sold, the Polo has established itself as a German legend which we will surely miss. The Volkswagen Polo was first showcased to the Indian audience back in the 2010 Auto Expo in Delhi.
- Polo was famous and popular among people due to many positive traits, and reliability was one. The European build quality and the performance package were always at the driver’s fingertips. Be it a regular drive or even a rally; Polo seamlessly went through it all.
- Polo was among the top choices of enthusiasts when picking a car. It offers a good stock package but is immensely packed with modification potential. Be it cosmetic upgrades or engine tuning stages, every one of them unlocked a new level of performance.
- Polo was the only car in India that VW offered 10 engine options throughout the running span of a decade. There were a pair of turbo engines packing an extra edge of power & performance and making the car more youthful among those engine options.
- Volkswagen offered both TSI & TDI engines catering to both petrol & diesel buyers. The TSI engines were trendy among the young enthusiasts who wanted something more than just stock. VW started selling separate turbo editions in India, and now seeing the original candidate gone is very sad.
- Polo was among the car which had a universal appeal. Be it young enthusiasts, working professionals or even a small family; Polo fitted them all. The solid build quality with the practical package that fits even in the tiniest parking spaces made it perfect.
- The Polo was the first locally manufactured Volkswagen model at the brands’ Chakan plant in Pune
- Over its decade-long existence of 12 years, Volkswagen sold more than 3 lakh units of Polo.
- The VW Polo was one of the first locally-made hatchbacks that offered dual airbags as a standard and received a 4-star safety rating by Global NCAP in 2014.
As a matter of fact, Volkswagen has launched the 6th-gen Polo in 2017 whereas India has to make do with the same 5th-gen Polo since its launch in 2010
The departure of the Polo marks another strike-off of yet another hot hatchback that has left India. Let us know in the comments section below your thoughts on the Volkswagen Polo Legend Edition.