Much recently a new hatchback was spotted testing in Gurugram, This hatchback is alleged to be Toyota’s rebadged version of the Wagon R.
Well, at first we all assumed that the hatchback was a normal IC engine car but what we missed out on was that it doesn’t have an exhaust.
Now, new images have taken the internet by storm and clearly indicate that this is an EV and not an IC engine car. Reports also suggest that the new rebadged electric hatchback from Toyota will be named “HYRYDER”.
What’s under the hood?
- Well, back in 2018 Maruti had manufactured around 50,000 units of the Wagon R EV which was also codenamed XL5.
- These prototypes were powered by a 72 V electric drive connected to a 10-25 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
- Toyota’s version of the Wagon R EV is also expected to feature the same specifications.
- However, the brand is yet to confirm the exact power specs.
Are there any visual changes?
- The rebadged version of the WagonR does feature a couple of changes on the outside.
- These changes include a slightly redesigned back profile which now has a pair of LED taillamps.
- We also get to see LED indicators integrated on the ORVMs.
- On the front, the rumoured rebadged version does look a lot different than the current-gen WagonR.
- It gets a more elongated nose with sharp creases similar to the Maruti Suzuki XL5. There also sits a new pair of LED head and fog lamps.
- Looking at the image closely, the test mule does resemble the likes of the WagonR EV that Maruti has been testing for quite some time now.
- Well, it seems like Maruti was testing a product for its partner this whole time.
- The test mule also featured a pair of alloy wheels, sourced from the Maruti Suzuki Ignis, but with the Toyota badge.
Launch & Rivals?
- With its launch, this new EV from Toyota will have no active rival. Which can be beneficial for the Japanese carmaker.
- We can expect Toyota to launch the WagonR based EV by the end of this year.