Korean carmaker Kia launched its first sub-4 meter SUV the Kia Sonet September 2020. WIth its launch the feature packed and one of the most powerful yet affordable Sub-compact SUV created a separate fan base for itself not only in India but the whole Asia-Pacific.
This might have given Kia a chance to rethink of making the Sonet a little different from its rivals. As now, Kia has revealed a 7-seater variant of the Sonet in Indonesia. Out of the blue the 7-seater variant looks pretty identical to its 5-seater counterpart.
Surprisingly, the Indonesian variant is also being manufactured at Kia’s production facility in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh.
Whats under the hood?
- When launched the new 7-seater Sonet will feature a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine
- The engine is good enough to generate 113bhp with a peak torque of 144 Nm
- Transmission options will include a standard 6-speed manual and an optional IVT transmission
- The new longer Kia Sonet now measures at 4,120 mm in length, 1,790 mm in width, 1,642 mm in height with a wheelbase of 2,500 mm.
Anything new on the feature end?
- Apart from being a little longer than its 5-seater cousin. Visually, the new Sonet more or ess remains the same on the outside.
- Moving inside, we get to see an additional 3rd row
- We also get to see a fully digital instrument cluster and a multi-functional steering wheel.
- Additonal features include a 10.25- inch infotainment system accompanied with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, wireless smartphone charging facility, LED ambient lighting and rear AC Vents.
Will it be launched in India?
- So, looking at the current situation and of course the Indian mindset it is highly unlikely of Kia to launch the 7-seater version of the Kia Sonet in India.