The pandemic has forced us to switch to personal commuting instead of using public transport. With the pandemic hovering on everyone’s head, safety is what everyone is after. That said, if you want the total bank for your buck, here are 15 cars those are one of the best in their segment and offer a lot more.
Engine 800cc Naturally Aspirated 1000cc Naturally Aspirated Power 54 PS @ 5678 rpm 68 PS @ 5500 rpm Torque 72 Nm @ 4386 rpm 91 Nm @ 4250 rpm Transmission 5-speed manual synchromesh
Don’t go on the size, Renault Kwid though small, offers a really good value for money composition. The cute little hatch comes with some top of the life features like a 7″ infotainment system. That is not all, this system supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Even the built quality is good for its price.
- Talking about the powerhouse, Renault Kwid comes with 2 petrol engine options, an 800cc and a 1000cc 3 cylinder engines.
- The smaller 800CC engine puts out 54ps of peak power and 72Nm of peak torque. But if you want more power, 1000CC produces 68ps of max power and 91Nm of peak torque.
- Both of the engines are mated to a 5-speed manual transmission with the later one getting an AMT option.
Maruti Suzuki WagonR
Engine 1000cc Naturally Aspirated 1200cc Naturally Aspirated Power 73 PS @ 5500 rpm 83 PS @ 6000 rpm Torque 90 Nm @ 3500 rpm 113 Nm @ 4200 rpm Transmission 5-speed manual/AGS
For India, some cars never get old and stay in the top-selling vehicles (Enough of WagonR, “It’s Old”). But still, if you still fancy the very practical small hatch, it has got some punch. The basic shape of the car remains unchanged but there are some upgrades on the inside and under the hood. In terms of the engine, it still comes with old engines with new tech.
- The Maruti Suzuki Wagon R gets 2 engine options, a 1.0-Litre, and a 1.2litre.
- The smaller one produces 67ps of power and about 90Nm of peak torque.
- The former engine is a bit more powerful for obvious reasons and produces around 83ps and 113Nm of peak power and torque respectively.
- The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and options an AGS.
- On the inside, the updated WagonR gets a new infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. Even the Dash has seen some revision with a digital instrument cluster.
Engine 1.0-Litre 4 cylinder 1.0-Litre 4 cylinder (CNG) Transmission 69 PS @ 5500 rpm 60 PS @ 5500 rpm Power 100 Nm @ 4500 rpm 85 Nm @ 4500 rpm Transmission 5-Speed MT/AMT 5-Speed MT
After nearly a long time Hyundai updated its entry-level hatch the Santro. Well, this time around it was more than just a meer facelift as it came with all new interior and interior design. With the new aesthetic scheme, the hatch does feel upmarket, and seems finally Santro has entered the 2020 era.
- Hyundai Santro’s interior was cherished with new features like a touchscreen infotainment system with a backup camera and a digital MID for the driver.
- Even the engine now meets the new BS6 emission norms. Under the hood, Hyundai Santro comes with just one engine, though there is an option to opt for a CNG variant.
- The engine produces 69ps of power and 100 Nm of peak torque for the petrol. Talking about the CNG the motor churns a bit low 60ps of power and 85 Nm of peak torque.
- The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission with a Smart AMT as an option.
Maruti Suzuki Ignis
Engine 1.2-Litre Naturally Aspirated Petrol Transmission 5-Speed MT/AMT Power 83 PS @6000 RPM Transmission 113 NM @ 4200 RPM
Many car makers came to our shores but failed to match Maruti Suzuki. Well, we have another vehicle from the brand the Ignis. This is one of the cars that offer a really good power to weight ratio. Moreover, it handles well too, because why not its Nexa we are talking. Well, the car comes with all the bells and whistles you can think of, coupled with the Maruti network it is indeed a good package.
- Maruti Suzuki Ignis comes with just the same engine as the WagonR and produces identical power figures.
- The motor is a 1.2-Litre 4 Cylinder naturally aspirated engine that produces 83ps of power and 113 Nm of peak torque.
- It is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and also offers an AMT.
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios
Engine 1.2-Litre 4 cylinder (Diesel) 1.2-Litre 4 cylinder (Petrol) 1.0- Turbo GDI (Petrol) 1.2-Litre 4 cylinder (CNG) Transmission 75 PS @ 4000 rpm 83 PS @ 6000 rpm 100 PS @ 6000 rpm 69 PS @ 6000 rpm Power 190 Nm @ 1750-2250 rpm 114 Nm @ 4000 rpm 172 Nm @ 1500-4000 rpm 95 Nm @ 4000 rpm Transmission 5-Speed MT/AMT 5-Speed MT
Korean carmaker, Hyundai, knows exactly what its customers want and equips its vehicles with top of the class features and engine. Hyundai Grand i10 Nios is no exception. With that said, the car also offers brilliant ride quality and dynamics, and sure you’ll be surprised after taking the car under your control.
- Well under the hood i10 Nios has a wide range of engine options, 3 to be exact. A diesel engine, and 2 petrol engines with an option of CNG.
- The diesel engine is a 1.2-litre 4 4 cylinder engine that produces 75ps of max power and 190Nm of peak torque.
- On the petrol part, a 1.0-turbo GDI along with a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated engine is offered.
- Due to the turbo, the smaller engine produces more power and torque, 100ps and 172Nm to be exact.
- Whereas the other engine gets an option of running the engine either on petrol or CNG depending upon the variant you opt for.
Maruti Suzuki Baleno
Engine 1.2-Litre 4 cylinder 1.2-Litre 4 cylinder (Dualjet) Transmission 83 PS @ 6000 rpm 90 PS @ 6000 rpm Power 113 Nm @ 4200 rpm 85 Nm @ 4400 rpm Transmission 5-Speed MT/CVT 5-Speed MT
The leading Indian car maker, Maruti Suzuki does like to flaunt its cars in many segments. Well, this time around it one of the favourite hatchback Baleno. Maruti Suzuki Baleno has experienced a ton of success in the Indian automotive market and it deserves a mention. The car comes with most of the latest car tech like LED headlamps, infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and much more. On the safety part, it gets dual Airbags, ABS+EBD and BA as standard.
- Under the hood, the Baleno is decent on power and gets a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine in two different tunes.
- The Dual jet engine also gets Suzuki’s SHVS that enhances the fuel economy and offers great driveability.
- The engine comes with a 5-speed manual transmission and gets an option of a CVT transmission. Though the transmission is not an option with the Dualjet engine.
Engine 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol 1.5-litre Turbo Diesel Transmission 5-Speed MT 5-Speed MT Power 96ps@6,500rpm 100ps@3,750 rpm Torque 119Nm@4,250rpm 215 Nm@1,750-2,500 rpm
Looking for a Hot hatch? Well, Ford offers you the same. Ford cars have a really good reputation to have ultimate driving dynamics, Ford Figo is no different. Ford doesn’t need to try hard as the car gets all the gizmos the current-gen cars have. This includes an intuitive infotainment system and adequate safety features. Though the car does not come with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
- Under the bonnet is where the car shines brights.
- Ford Figo comes with 2 engine options a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated 4 cylinder petrol engine and a 1.5-litre turbo diesel.
- Both of the engines are among the powerful engines in the segment.
- Talking about the transmission, the motors come with only a 5-speed manual transmission.
Engine 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol 1.5-litre Turbo Diesel Transmission 5-Speed MT 5-Speed MT Power 86ps@6000rpm 90ps@3750 rpm Torque 113Nm@3300rpm 200 Nm@1250-3000 rpm
The new boy in town is from Tata, the Altroz. Like the other cars in the segment, it comes with all the current generation technology with the music system at a whole different level. Tata Altroz comes with the ultimate speaker system from JBL. It isn’t over yet, this car comes with blue ambient lighting and an LCD MID for the driver that shows a whole lot of information.
- It is the engine department where it gets a hit but more than makes up with its safety features.
- For instance, Tata Altroz comes with a 5-Start Global NCAP rating.
- Keeping that side, Altroz gets 2 engine options, 1.2-litre petrol, and a 1.5-litre turbo diesel.
- Only a 5-speed manual transmission is offered with Tata Altroz.
Maruti Suzuki Dzire
Engine 1.2-Litre Naturally Aspirated petrol Transmission 5-Speed Manual / 5-speed AMT Power 83ps@6,000 Torque 113 Nm@4,200rpm
Entering into sedans, Maruti Suzuki has its offering in this segment too. With the BS6 engine and some additional features, the Maruti Suzuki Drize offers a really good value for the money. Talking about the features Dzire comes with LED projector headlamps and halogen fog lights.
- On the inside, Maruti Suzuki Dzire is cherished with a flat-bottom steering wheel, automatic climate control, and a small MID that display all the necessary information.
- This compact sedan comes with a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated engine that punches 90ps of power and 113 Nm of peak torque.
- The engine is offered with either a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed AMT.
Engine 1.0-Litre TSI petrol Transmission 6-Speed Manual / 6-speed Torque converter Automatic Power 110ps@5,000-5,500 Torque 175 Nm@1,750-4,000rpm
Increasing your budget slightly will get you a german built quality with the most powerful engine in the sedan line up at this price. Though it is a slight compromise on features it more than makes up with the driving experience. Talking about the features, it comes with automatic climate control and all 4 power windows as standard. Higher variants also get a cooling feature for the glove box.
- Coming to Skoda Rapid’s USP, ‘the engine’. A 1.0litre turbo petrol powers the Rapid and produces a 110ps of peak power and a whopping 175Nm of peak torque.
- The torque through linear offers amazing acceleration.
- For instance, this car can accelerate from standstill to 100kmph in under 10seconds.
- The engine comes with an exciting 6-speed manual transmission with a torque converter on its way.
Honda City 4th Gen
Engine 1.5-Litre Naturally Aspirated Petrol (i-VTEC) Transmission 5-Speed MT Power 119 PS @6600 RPM Transmission 145 NM @ 4600 RPM
After a recent drop in price, 4th Gen Honda City offers brilliant value for money. This offers a ton of features and alongside that gets you the luxury feel on a full-grown C-Segment sedan. Honda City is among the longest and the widest and gets a lot of room on the inside.
- Honda is known for its refined petrol engine, and City gets it.
- A 1.5-litre naturally aspirated i-VTEC engine powers the car that comes with a 5-speed manual transmission.
- Sadly no automatic is offered with the car.
Engine 1.2-Litre 4 cylinder 1.5-Litre Turbo Diesel 1.0-Litre GDI Transmission 83 PS @ 6000 rpm 100 PS @ 4000 rpm 120 PS @ 6000 rpm Power 113 Nm @ 4000 rpm 240Nm @ 1500-4000 rpm 172 Nm @ 4000 rpm Transmission 5-Speed MT/CVT 6-Speed MT 6-Speed MT/-Speed DCT/ 6-speed IMT
It has been a while since the launch of Hyundai Venue and still it is going bold and strong. With the introduction of an IMT gearbox, it is more promising than before. But what Venue offers on the inside? Well, in typical Hyundai fashion this cute little sub-compact SUV comes with more than it rivals. Starting the list is first in the segment, a wireless charger, and a gem engine with an equally exciting transmission.
- Psst, this car comes with a sunroof. Under the hood, Hyundai Venue gets 3 engine options a diesel and a couple of petrol.
- The car comes with a 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine and a 1.2-naturally aspirated engine.
- However, the diesel is a 1.5-litre turbo diesel similar to Creta but in a different state of tune.
- All the engines are mated to a 6-speed manual transmission with only the turbo petrol getting a 7-Speed DCT or a 6-speed IMT gearbox option.
Engine 1.2-Litre turbo petrol 1.5-Litre turbo diesel Transmission 110 PS @ 5000 rpm 116 PS @ 3750 rpm Power 200 Nm @ 2000-3500 rpm 300 Nm @ 1500-2500 rpm Transmission 6-Speed MT 6-Speed MT/6-Speed AMT
How can one forget, Mahindra does exist and the company gave us India’s safest car, the Mahindra XUV300. Alongside that, the car also comes with some exclusive features. Namely, a dual-zone climate control, heated ORVMs, a sunroof, different steering modes, and more.
- Mahindra XUV also comes with a decent infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- A TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) is also a part of the package.
- Powering this sub-compact SUV are a couple of engines, a diesel, and petrol with both having a turbo slapped on.
- The engines are mated to either a 6-speed manual transmission with diesel getting an AMT option.
Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza
Engine 1.5-Litre Naturally Aspirated Petrol Transmission 5-Speed MT/4-Speed Torque Converter Power 105 PS @6000 RPM Transmission 138 NM @ 4400 RPM
Don’t you get bored Maruti Suzuki? This versatile carmaker also has its legs spread wide in the sub-compact SUV. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza is a vehicle that gives its owners to go anywhere. Though it is not a proper off-roader, it can surely do a little bit of offroading. Complementing the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza are its suspension which just rolls over bumps without any hassle.
- Brezza is equipped with a decent feature list like an infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- With that, it also gets mood lighting for the instrument cluster that can be adjusted with the touch of a button.
- Talking about the engine, a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine powers the Vitara Brezza.
- This engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed Torque converted. (Why Maruti? 4-speed, Seriously!)
Engine 1.2-Litre turbo petrol 1.5-Litre turbo diesel Transmission 120 PS @ 5500 rpm 110 PS @ 4000 rpm Power 170 Nm @ 1750-4000 rpm 260 Nm @ 1500-2750 rpm Transmission 6-Speed MT/6-Speed AMT
Tata with its rising sales introduces a sun-compact SUV Nexon. But is there anything special about it? Well, this is another vehicle from the list to have a 5-start rating in the Global NCAP crash test. Yes! Tata Nexon is indeed safe. With that said, it is also well equipped.
- This car comes with a small but useful infotainment system that offers Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Tata Nexon is another sub-compact SUV to offer a ‘sunroof’. Under the hood comes its USP.
- Tata Nexon is powered by 2 engines, a 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine, and a 1.5-litre turbo diesel.
- Both of the engines get an option of either a 6-speed manual transmission or a 6-speed AMT.
These were the cars that offer value for money proposition. From the engine to the features and the driving dynamics all of them are among the top in their segments.