It’s finally time when you might have to say goodbye to your old ride or get ready to pay 8X re-registration fees as the Indian Government has finally sanctioned the new vehicle re-registration norms.
These updated norms have been introduced under the newly launched vehicle scrappage policy. According to these norms which will come into effect from April 2022 across India.
According to the notification issued by the Road Transport and Highways heading by Nitin Gadkari which states that the renewal of the fitness certificate for cars/trucks older than 15 years will now cost almost 8 times more than the amount paid by all present vehicle owners.
How much will it cost me to get renewed fitness/re-registration certificate for my 15+ year car?
- As of now, it takes mere Rs. 600 for obtaining a renewed registration certificate. Although from April 2022 it would cost Rs. 5,000 to obtain the same for your car.
- Moreover, for two-wheelers, it will cost Rs. 1000 compared to the present Rs. 300.
- Additionally, the same will be applied for renewed fitness certificate.
- A renewed fitness certificate for a 15+ year HCV (Heavy Commercial Vehicle) will cost Rs. 12,000 from the current price of Rs. 1,500.
- While the same for an LCV (Light Commercial Vehicle) will cost Rs. 10,000 from the current fee of Rs. 1,500.
- For obtaining a renewed registration certificate for two-wheelers it will cost between Rs.10,000 to Rs. 40,000 respectively.
When will these rules be implemented?
- The notification also states that the newly updated rules will be renamed to Central Motor Vehicles.
- According to the issued notification, these rules will be implemented to full force from April 1st, 2022.
Is there any penalty?
- So, if you somehow decide to ignore these rules and do not obtain the renewed documents an additional fee of Rs. 50 will be levied for each day after the expiry of the previous fitness certificate.
- An additional fee of Rs. 200 will be applied if the certificate of registration is a smart card-type issue.
- In case of delay in applying for a renewed registration certificate an additional fee of Rs. 300 will be charged for all private vehicles.
- While a fine of Rs. 500 will be applied on commercial vehicles for the same.