Yes, what you just read is absolutely true, India’s largest carmaker is all set to introduce the next generation of the brand’s most iconic hatchback, The Maruti Suzuki Baleno.
With its launch scheduled for the end week of February, the Indo-Japanese brand has started the production of the new-age Baleno at the brand’s Gujrat plant. Maruti has also rolled out the first unit of the 2022 Baleno from the plant.
Moreover, the next generation of the 2022 Maruti Suzuki Baleno will be produced alongside its previous-gen cousin and the Toyota Glanza.
Additionally, with additional and more techy updates it is also speculated that the new age Baleno will receive a price hike and will take on its existing rivals like the Tata Altroz and the Hyundai i20.
Now with Maruti now focusing on safety, we can also expect the next-gen Baleno to be safer in terms of both, features and build.
What’s on the mechanical front?
- We can expect to see the same powertrain options on the new heavily updated Baleno.
- These include a 1.2-litre VVT petrol engine and a 1.2-litre DualJet VVT engine.
- Both engines produce 82 bhp and 89 bhp with a peak torque of 113 Nm respectively.
- While the transmission options will include a standard 5-speed manual and an optional CVT automatic gearbox.
- However, rumour also has it that Maruti could replace the CVT gearbox with a more affordable AMT gearbox.
What’s new on the feature front?
- Staring with the exterior, it gets a re-worked front grille, the headlamps seem to have been stretched a bit and somewhat resemble the likes of the Ciaz.
- It will also get projector headlights as standard.
- Looking at the taillamps, they also seem to have been inspired by the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and are LED in nature.
- Additional features on the outside include the ‘Baleno’ badging, rear fog lamps, shark fin antenna and updated Suzuki badging on the boot.
- On the inside, the 2022 Baleno will get a new and massive 10-inch floating infotainment system compatible with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Other features on the inside include a wireless charger, dual-tone leatherette seats, multifunctional steering wheel, fully digital instrument cluster etc.
Anything new on the safety front?
- With the government not focusing on safer cars for India, Maruti will have to equip the 2022 Baleno with top-notch safety and security features.
- Some of the standard safety features expected on the new Tata Altroz, Hyundai i20 rival include 6-airbags (Reserved for higher variants), ESP (Electronic Stability Program), cruise control, ABD with EBD Hill assist start/stop button among others.
- To help with the build quality, The brand is also expected to use a thicker / stronger grade of steel to make the cars outer body strong.