BS6 norms are the new upcoming exhaust emission regulations in the entire county. The 31st of March is the last date of the current emission norms. After that, only the new BS6 norms will comply.
Well, it is late that the Indian government decides to implement the new regulations but they are here. Afterall its nature we are saving now as the vehicles get more efficient and less pollution.
Many people have this question, how is BS6 implementation beneficial?
BS6 | Clean Emission Norms
- The journey to BS6 was very time consuming and not in any manner easy. As the first exhaust emission norms India 2000 was introduced in the year 2000 the things were pretty much slow.
- Especially, the gap between BS3 and BS4 which took almost a decade.
- Then to compensate for the time wasted the government decided to skip BS5 in the script.
- There are a night and day difference in the emission readings from BS4 to BS6. BS6 is more than 50% less polluting. So all in all the decision of BS6 is not at all negative.
Benefits of BS6 Emission Regulations
Apart from the environmental benefits, BS6 has many other benefits too.
- The engine is introduced new advanced OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) system. This regulates and keeps check on the engine for the optimum combustion.
- The OBD also monitors real-time emission from the exhaust gasses of the vehicle.
- The entire combustion process of the engine has been tuned. In most of the vehicles in India, the air-fuel mixture atomized in the engine was a lean mixture.
- This was done to minimize the fuel consumption which in turn lead to an incomplete combustion in turn increasing the exhaust gasses from the engine.
- Now for BS6, the cars are tunes to run on the current stoichiometric air-fuel mixture. This has led to increasing power at the cost of reduced mileage. But the exhaust gasses are in control.
Reduced NVH levels
- Due to the stoichiometric air-fuel mixture, a right combustion takes place inside the engine. This results in fewer vibrations and increased refinement.
- Most BS4 commuter motorcycles rely on the carburetor for fuel mixture delivery inside the engine. Being a mechanical device it not that accurate.
- All BS6 motorcycles run on electronic fuel injection which delivers a precise amount of fuel inside the combustion chamber.
BS6 is a necessary and welcome change in the auto industry but it is really hard to implement the new emission norms after the lockdowns due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. All we can do is wait in quarantine. THIS SHALL PASS!