A car battery is one of the most ignored car essentials. Very few of us pay attention to it and follow a good maintenance schedule. Well, it is the battery which gets the engine going, it is the battery through which we’re able to enjoy the music on the go.
Like changing the engine oil, all the filters and other general service work, pampering the car battery will ensure your car runs smoothly and without any problems.
But after proper maintenance when should is the right time to replace the car battery?
Well, in simple words the best time to replace your battery is before you need to. But how you can make out when it’s time to replace the battery if it’s not dead?
How can you tell the battery is not able to hold the charge?
A person can easily figure out whether the battery if losing its charge or now. How? or Are there any signs for it? -You may ask.
Yes, there are several ways to find out whether the battery is getting loose or not. As the battery gets weak and can’t hold the charge any longer, you may notice these:
- Either the engine takes time to start or doesn’t even start. The battery is not able to produce ample power to start the engine.
- While turning the ignition the dash light either flicker or are dim than usual.
- The engine suddenly turns off while operating the power windows or the windows operate at a much slower pace than normal.
- Another sign you may notice is dim dash lights when the engine is idle and as you rev the engine they get brighter.
- A lot of corrosion or oxidation on the battery terminals is also a major sign to make out that the car battery is getting low.
- Modern cars come equip with a battery warning light which lights up when the battery is low.
If you can observe any of the problems listed its time to get the battery replaced before the old battery gets you stranded.
Can the battery be tested for low on performance or capacity?
Before we answer the question let us tell you that the capacity or the performance of a battery is measured in CCA or Cold Cranking Amps.
- YES, if one cannot figure out the degrading battery capacity it can be tested. Almost all the car service centers have either a battery tester or a multimeter. Via these two devices, we can easily measure battery performance.
- If the multimeter shows a reading less than 11 volts then its surely a time to get the battery replaced.
How often the car required a new battery?
The life span of a car battery totally depends on the vehicle condition and how you take care of the battery. But after a maintenance schedule on an average, the battery lasts for about 4-5 years. For the car in colder regions, the life span can be a bit lower. It is recommended that after 3 years of battery life start paying attention to the above-mentioned signs or battery warning light in modern cars. If any of the sign comes, get the battery replaced before it affects the electricals of your vehicle. Unfortunately, there’s no other alternative to avoid getting your car battery changed.
Though the battery replacement will not blow a deep hole in your wallets, not replacing the battery sure can. For starters, it can get you stranded at an unknown place without any help.
How much does a battery replacement cost?
Well, the cost of the battery varies. It depends on the model and the year of the vehicle you own. But on an average here in India the battery cost may range from about ₹3,000 to ₹10,000 or maybe more if your car has a special battery or is a mild hybrid.