11th February; the Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari notified the approval of the Delhi-Dehradun Expressway Corridor. This new highway will reduce travel time as well as the distance. For you to know, the budget approved for the expressway is ₹13,000 crores.
After completion, the highway will take less than half of the time and will reduce about 11% of the current travel distance. Besides, the expressway will hold 10 elevated roads and a few basic amenities after certain kilometres.
The Delhi-Dehradun Corridor, Insights
This highway not only reduces time and distance but also is unique in some ways.
- The highway will have the longest elevated sector of 12kms which is done in order to save the wildlife.
- Also, the Delhi-Dehradun highway will possess a closed toll mechanism. This means you’ll pay just for the belt you use.
- Additionally, the highway will have amenities after every 25-30kms so that the travellers face no problem at all.
- The highway will have cars rushing at a minimum speed of 100kmph.
- Talking about numbers, this new expressway will run through 210kms from Delhi to Dehradun.
- In the current scenario, the average distance from Delhi to Dehradun is 235kms.
This highway will reduce the travel time from 6 to 6.5 hours to about 2.5 to 3 hours.
It is interesting to see that after the union budget got released, many more such highways will begin their construction. In the end, all these combined will surely reduce the travel time, distance and also increase tourism across the country.
Let us know in the comments, will you rather take roads or a flight to your destination?
Also, Read 7 Reasons Your Next Car Should NOT Be An SUV