India’s largest and the most trusted carmaker Maruti Suzuki has set a new record by selling 40 lakh units of the brand’s most popular car the Maruti Suzuki Alto. Not only this the Maruti Suzuki Alto has also become the first car in the country to hit this milestone.
The Alto has been on the best seller’s list for 16 consecutive years and according to the brand is preferred as a first car by 76% customers. The iconic hatchback from Maruti has achieved this milestone in 20 years since it was first introduced in the year 2000.
- The fist 10 lakh units sales of the Alto was recorded in 2008, the next 10 lakh unit sales number was registered within 4 short years in 2012.
- The iconic hatchback then hit its 30 lakh units sale in 2019, closely followed by the recently achieved 40 lakh units sale.
Speaking on this achievement Executive Director (Marketing & Sales), Maruti Suzuki India Limited, Mr Shashank Srivastava said, “Alto has been ranked as the No.1 selling car in India for 16th year in a row and we are immensely proud to announce another remarkable milestone of 40 lakh cumulative sales. This has become a sales record never achieved by any other Indian car.”
He added “Over the years, brand Alto has established a strong emotional connection with our customers and has become a strong symbol of Pride. We would like to dedicate this achievement to all our proud and happy Alto family members who have trusted and supported us in this journey to become India’s Favourite Car.”
India’s first BS6 compliant entry-level car?
- It seems that Maruti was aware of its popularity and was the brand’s first entry-level car in the country to comply with the BS6 emission norms.
- Maruti offers the Alto in 6 Petrol variants and 2 CNG variants.
- The main USP of the Alto is its fuel efficiency of 22.05 km/l for Petrol and 31.56 km/kg for CNG.
What powers the Maruti Suzuki Alto?
- The Alto comes equipped with a BS6 compliant 0.8-litre, F8D petrol engine that churns 48hp power and 69 Nm torque.
- The engine comes paired to a five-speed manual transmission.
- Maruti also offers the Alto in a CNG variant, which generates a 41hp and torque of 60Nm while paired to a 5-speed manual transmission only.
- The Alto comes at an introductory price of Rs 2.94 lakh and goes upto Rs 4.36 lakh (Ex-Showroom, Delhi).