MG seems to be aiming big for the domestic market. The carmaker has officially released a teaser of the upcoming MG Gloster SUV on their Youtube channel.
The Gloster is the brand’s most promising and premium SUV for the domestic market. It was showcased at the Auto Expo 2020. It is a rebadged version of the Maxus D90 SUV sold internationally.
The video teaser shows the brand’s journey in India and the upcoming MG Gloster with a tagline “Next-Gen Automotive Technology.”
The teaser also boasts about the various autonomous features which the Gloster will come equipped with. It makes it clear that the Gloster will be a technology-driven car.
What powers the MG Gloster?
- A 2.0-litre twin-turbocharged diesel engine will power the MG’s flagship SUV. The engine is based on the FCA’s 2.0L MJD II turbocharged diesel motor.
- The engine generates 218hp with a peak torque of 480Nm, while paired to a 6-speed manual and an optional 8-speed AMT.
- Reports also suggest that Gloster SUV will also receive a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol unit capable of generating 224hp with a peak torque of 360 Nm mated to the same transmission options.
Is it Bigger than its rivals?
- Dimension-wise, the MG Gloster is 5,005mm long, 1,932mm wide and 1,875mm tall, and has a wheelbase of 2,950mm.
- These proportions make the Gloster the biggest offering in the premium SUV segment. The new MG Gloster will also come with two seating configurations of 6 (2+2+2) and 7 (2+3+2).
Will it be a feature-loaded Flagship?
- The feature list on the new MG flagship is likely to come equipped with features like 8-inch MID, triple-zone climate control and 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system with connected car technology.
- Additional feature includes electrically adjustable front seats offer heating, leather seats ventilation and massage functions.
What’s in it for Safety?
- The safety package will include six airbags, ABS with EBD, brake assist, ESP, hill hold and descent controls, 360-degree camera, front and rear parking camera and tyre pressure monitoring system to name a few.
What about its expected price and rivals?
- The initial pricing to expected to range between ₹35-45 lakhs (Ex-showroom) as it will come via the CKD route.
- The bigger and better SUV form MG will rival the likes of the Toyota Fortuner and the Ford Endeavour.