This might be a little too hard to digest as Czech carmaker Skoda has finally ended the production of one of the brand’s most iconic sedans and probably the most affordable Skoda ever, The Skoda Rapid after 10 years of its production.
During its 10 years short journey, the Skoda Rapid has been a tough competitor to some of the most iconic or some would say legendary compact sedans, the Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Maruti Suzuki SX4, Fiat Linea, Volkswagen Vento, and the Ford Fiesta.
This news was conveyed by Skoda’s Sales and Marketing Head Skoda, Zac Hollis while replying to a tweet that also stated that the Rapid has garnered 100,000 loyal customers and has contributed to 10% of segment share over 10 years.
Another major reason for Skoda to discontinue the Rapid is that the brand plans to launch 2 new sedans in a span of 2 years with the latest one being the recently unveiled Skoda Slavia set to launch on November 18th, 2021.
The Skoda Slavia will sit under the recently updated Octavia and Superb and will be an apt replacement for the Rapid.
What powered the Skoda Rapid?
- The 2020 Rapid Rider comes equipped with the same 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine capable of producing 109hp with 175Nm of peak torque.
- The engine comes mated to the same 6-speed manual gearbox and holds a company claimed fuel efficiency of 18.97kmpl, under standard test conditions.
- It also features a conventional automatic 6-speed torque converter.
- Compared to the previous gen, the new Rapid offers a 5% upsurge in power and a 14% increase in torque. The fuel efficiency has also increased by over 9%.
What’s on the feature end?
At the exterior, the all-new Skoda Rapid gets a plethora of features to offer. It has got:
- Quartz-cut projector headlamps
- Glossy black ORVMs
- The black front radiator grille
- LED DRLs
- Stainless steel scuff plates
- Black tailgate spoiler and sporty diffuser
- Dual-tone clubber alloy wheels
The interior of Skoda Rapid 2020 TSI is also not behind when the features are to be concerned. Here is a list of some of the major highlights.
- 20.32cm Skoda Android infotainment system
- Supersport flat-bottom steering
- Dual-tone Tellur Grey interiors
- Front amber glow illumination
- Automatic climate control
- Electronically adjustable ORVMs
What’s on the safety front?
The Rapid TSI gets a load of safety features too. Here is the list of some of them.
- 4-airbags as standard
- ABS with EBD
- Windscreen defogger
- Cruise control
- Central locking and unlocking of doors and boot lid
- Remote control opening and closing of windows
- Anti-theft alarm with interior monitoring
- Rearview camera with display