The SUV segment vehicles are at the pinnacle of their fame right now. Recently the industry sales report of the year 2019, December 2019, and April-December 2019 were released by apex industry body SIAM and it clearly depicted that SUVs are the only sub-segment in the UV that have a constant positive sales record. In fact, the SUV are flourishing despite the largely damped auto market. The UV sales comprise of 34.25% of the total Passenger vehicles (PV) sold in the market.
You Surely don’t wanna miss this: BS6 (Bharat Stage 6) | Explained
- The SUVs are clearly a very good indicator for the Indian automobile industry which has seen a very sharp decline in sales for over a year now and it may continue until this fiscal year ends.
- The major contributors that have helped in growth are the recently launched SUVs from Kia motors(Seltos), Hyundai Motor India (Venue), MG Motor India (Hector) and Renault India (Triber).
- These SUVs were received well by the audience and it helped the companies in increasing their share in the UV market.
- Similarly, cars from established manufacturers like Mahindra & Mahindra (XUV300), Maruti Suzuki India (Vitara Brezza) and Tata Motors (Nexon) have also played a major part in the resurgence of SUV demand.
- But if we have a closer look at the market statistics table in this article we will see that out of 17 OEM’s in the auto market only 4 (Hyundai, Kia, MG, and Renault) have increased their shares in the market.
Recommended read: The Next-Gen Force Gurkha Likely To Debut In Auto Expo 2020
Hyundai: 19.18 percent UV share
Leading the charts we have the famous Korean company Hyundai. Earlier in 2019, the company launched its first-ever compact SUV-Venue, which was a huge success. The Venue and the famous Creta have sold a total of 1,38,211 units.
The venue comes with three engine options- a 1.4Lt diesel motor, 1.2Lt Petrol motor, and a 1.0Lt petrol motor unit. In the last eight months since its launch, it has been in the top 5 UVs charts. Hyundai SUV sales comprise of a total 37% in the company’s total PV sales(3,76,997) in April-December 2019.
It comes with no surprise that the company has grown its share in the market to 19.18 % compared with last year’s 13.71%.
Suggested Read: The Hydrogen Car | A Future In Peril?
Kia: 6.25 percent UV share
Kia Motors has really paved its way among the top in the Indian Auto market. Its famous SUV the Kia Seltos has managed to get the attention of the buyers.
Since its launch in August 2019, the Kia Seltos has grabbed a total of 6.25% UV market share with a total sales of 45,226 units. This comes down to a monthly average of 9,045 units which is absolutely spending taking into consideration that Kia is a relatively new company in the market.
Kia is currently ranked sixth in the total UV market share in India.
In November 2019 the Kia Seltos reached its best monthly sales yet-14,005 units and was ranked as India’s best UV for straight two months in October and November.
You may also like: Toyota Innova vs Kia Carnival: Does the Kia has what it takes?
Renault: 4.39 percent UV share
Well, Renault definitely deserves to be this list. Its SUVs have really hit off and are considered one of the best in the segment. Its sales mainly of Renault Duster has helped it to get a total share of 4.39% in the UV share market.
Suggested for you: Vitara Likely To Be The New 7-Seater Maruti SUV
MG: 2.20 percent UV share
MG Motor India is the other new car brand that entered India and saw an increase in the sales traction for its famous Hector SUV.
Since its launch, the company has sold more than 15,930 units of Hector SUV which gives it a UV market share of 2.20%- A very strong performance considering it is a shark in the market. Currently, Hector comes in four diesel variant, two petrol variant and three petrol hybrids.
The new companies have clearly increased their sales in India with their SUV market share. But will they be able to maintain the consistency this year as well, taking into consideration that BS6 norms are to become mandatory soon? Well, only time will tell that.
You may also like: Kia Sonet (Venue-based SUV) Launch Confirmed in 2020