Mahindra Launched the new generation Thar on 2nd October 2020. Well, just after a couple of months, Mahindra pulled the plug on 6 seater version of the off-roader. For you to know, the Mahindra Thar in its 6 seater avatar gets two bench seats for the rear passengers. Also, the seats were oriented sideways.
Why Mahindra Took off From the 6 Seaters Thar?
This started in November when the Global NCAP took Thar to test its safety. Also, it was the 4-seater version that was sent overseas to be tested.
- After the results, Thar impressed everyone with a whopping 4-star crash test rating. Also, the overall shell was able to withstand further loads.
- Talking about child safety, the vehicle is reassuring that it scored a smiling 4-star rating. This makes the second safest car in its segment in child safety.
- As the tests were conducted with the 4-seater version with proper bench seats, the 6-seater version would have hampered these delightful crash test ratings.
- Also, it was now safe at all for the children as it was difficult to accommodate the child seat anchors.
Well, that was available in 2 variants with 2 roof configurations, hard and soft top. Now both of the variants have been discontinued and will not be available for further sale. Though some of the Thars in 6-seater configuration were sold.
2020 Mahindra Thar | The Gem Engine
The new grown-up Mahindra Thar comes with 2 engine options, a diesel and turbo petrol with the latter one being more powerful.
- Talking about which, is a 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine that pushes, 150hp of max power and 300Nm of peak torque.
- The 2.2-litre diesel is also an option that generates 130hp and 300Nm of max torque.
- Both the engines come mated to either a 6-speed MT or a torque converter.