A tweet from Elon Musk, stating that Tesla will come to India next year has raised the excitement level once again. We in India have been waiting for this car manufacturer since 2018 when again Elon speculated the launch of Tesla here in India.
Is Tesla really coming to India?
Adding life to Elon’s tweet is the recent statement from our Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Nitin Gadkari.
- It states that the American electric car maker Tesla will have their own physical dealerships or distributing facilities.
- These exclusive dealerships will also offer a premium buying experience. Additionally, there will also be an option of taking a test drive before buying the vehicle.
- Along with that, there are speculations that Tesla in addition to physical dealership, will also have an online configurator.
- The concept of vehicle configurator is not new. Here in India but Tesla might take it a little further by offering a lot more configurations to choose from.
- The Tesla car configurator might go on air next month that is in January 2021.
- Also, it is the online configurator where one can not only customize but also book and buy the futuristic electric car.
Tesla’s Future Plans
- One of the biggest questions that still need to be answered is which car will the company first bring to our shores.
- To start with, there are 4 vehicles in the Tesla line up with Model 3 being the most affordable. This is also the vehicle that Tesla most likely imports to our market.
- Yes, you heard right, for now, Tesla car will come as a CBU (Completely Built-up Units) from the company’s Giga factory in Shanghai China.
- Hence the prices of the vehicle will surely be on the higher side.
- As per our sources, a car like Model 3 may cost as high as 55-60Lakhs (ex-Showroom). But if these vehicles are manufactured in house, 30-35 is what we expect.
The company also added that they might set up an R&D centre in Bengaluru.