So, you thought that Maruti had nothing planned for this year? think again, as recently India biggest car manufacturer has filed a trademark application for the name Maruti Suzuki ‘S-Assist’.
However, there is no news about what the trademark means. Some say that this could be Maruiti’s new clutchless manual transmission better known to us as an iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission).
The feature is not at all new, brands like Hyundai and Kia already have their products in the markets which feature the iMT transmission.
What is an iMT?
- An iMT is a hybrid between a standard manual and an automatic gearbox.
- It consists of a two-pedal, clutch-less system that allows the driver to manually shift the gears, but without the need of pressing the clutch.
- The iMT uses an intention sensor integrated into the gear lever which severally informs the transmission control unit when the driver is about to switch between gears.
- The TCU then marks a signal to the hydraulic actuator which automatically engages and disengages the clutch plate according to the gear shifting pattern.
When will it be launched?
- It is speculated that the homegrown carmaker could introduce the Maruti Suzuki S-Assist either with the 2021 Maruti Suzuki Celerio or the Next-gen Maruti Suzuki Brezza.
- Both the cars are scheduled to launch during the upcoming festive season.
- The Celerio and the Brezza will be based on the Heartect platform which will make the cars safer and stiffer than any current-gen Maruti car.
- Under its hood, The 2021 Celerio is suspected to sport a 1.2-litre NA petrol engine.
- The next-gen Brezza will continue to feature the brand’s trademark, a 1.5L K12B naturally aspirated petrol engine with a stronger hybrid system.
- Both the cars are also rumoured to feature iMT transmission or the Maruti Suzuki S-Assist.
Must Read: iMT vs AMT | Which is a better Transmission?