With the sub-4 meter sedan segment already having a huge competition in India with the Maruti Suzuki Dzire ruling the throne. French carmaker Renault is working on a sub-4 meter sedan for the Indian market.
Renault Sub-4 Meter Sedan | Highlights
- Renaults earlier ventured in the compact sedan segment (JV with Mahindra) in India with the ill-fated Logan. The Logan was built on the B0/M0 platform.
- However, with its learnings from the Renault Triber development programme on the insights of space management and driveability, Renault is considering a different course by opting for the more spacious CMF-A+ platform.
- The CMF-A+ is a derived version of the CMF-A platform which is also used on the new Renault Kwid and Datsun Redi Go. This platform is also used on its subsidiaries like Dacia.
- The sub-4 meter sedan market is very popular in India not only amongst family buyers but also for taxi and fleet owners like Ola and Uber. In fact, the Maruti Dzire sees more sales as a commercial entity than a private one. Other examples include the Honda Amaze and Hyundai Xcent Prime, Tata Tigor.
- For family buyers, the sub-4 meter sedan segment makes a lot of sense as they get almost all the trendy features like a touchscreen infotainment system, smart connectivity but at a much less price. In actual fact, the average prices for sub-4 meter sedan are comparatively at least ₹1 Lakh lower than their standard subcompact sedan counterparts.
- The sub-4-meter sedan category has been exploited by many players like Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Ford, Tata, VW and more.
- Sub-compact sedans like the Ford Aspire, Hyundai Xcent, Tata Tigor, Maruti Dzire has been an instant hit
- With Renault’s entry into the to this sub-4-meter segment, the chances of fairing well are not that great given the already saturated market.
- Until of course, Renault comes up with a revolutionary new car surpassing the current dominators.
- Failing which, Renault might see the same fate as the Volkswagen Ameo, which was an attempt by Volkswagen in the sub-4-meter sedan category.