The German carmaker Volkswagen teased their new compact SUV the Taigun. The SUV showcased was standing bold in yellow. The Volkswagen Taigun was first showcased in 2020 Auto Expo. Back then the model was nearly production-ready, said Volkswagen but things may change with the production model.
This time around, Volkswagen has opted a different strategy as the Taigun is made in India vehicle for the Indian market. The new upcoming compact SUV Taigun will underpin a new MQB A0 IN platform which is super localized.
What is the Volkswagen Taigun Packing Under the Hood?
As of now the Volkswagen lineup in India, there are two engines that will likely make it into the Taigun.
- Ditching the Diesel, both the engines are turbo petrol. One is the familiar 1.0-litre TSI turbo petrol engine that does work in Polo and Vento. This motor is capable of generating 110ps of max power and 175Nm of peak torque.
Engine 1.0-Litre TSI petrol Transmission 6-Speed Manual / 6-speed Torque converter Automatic Power 110ps @ 5,000-5,500 Torque 175Nm @ 1,750-4,000 rpm
- The other engine that the Volkswagen has confirmed is a 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine that also does duties in the T-Roc. This engine is the one that generates 150ps of max power and 250Nm of peak torque.
Engine 1.5 TSI Petrol Transmission 7 Speed-DSG Power 150ps @ 5,000 rpm Torque 250 Nm @ 1500rpm
- We can expect the Taigun to have multiple transmission options, from a torque converter to DSG in automatic and also a 6-speed manual may be an option. Well, of course, the transmission will depend on the engine you go for.
PS. Like the other SUV or rather soft-roaders, the Volkswagen Taigun will be an FWD (Front Wheel Drive Vehicle).
Will the New Volkswagen Taigun be Aesthetically Pleasing?
“Volks” at Volkswagen are creative and oh Boy! they design some handsome looking vehicles. Of course, they carry a totally different theme with no sharp cuts and creases but subtle, minimalist and elegant design.
- It was clear at the 2020 Expo that new Volkswagen Taigun will have a huge front grille in between possibly two all-LED headlights.
- Looking at the teaser the front fog lights will be surrounded by a thick chrome bar that sure lifts the elegance in the vehicle.
- At the rear, the decades all LED theme will follow but may or may not have minor tweaks.
- Besides, that light bar does look tasty.
- Stepping on the inside one can say that the concept’s interior will make its way into the production model. With some changes, if you haven’t figured it out already.
- Volkswagen Taigun is likely to get an 8″ infotainment screen. Without any doubt, it will have all the connected features like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and also Volkswagen Connect.
- The flat-bottom steering like the other Volkswagen will definitely give a ton of confidence when driving enthusiastically.
- Considering the size of the Taigun there will be plenty of space on the inside for an average-sized adult in the rear seats.
Volkswagen with their Taigun is entering into a really hot segment that is dominated by the Koreans. But will Skoda Auto Volkswagen India Pvt Ltd (SAVIPL) will be able to shake the market and tip the scales with Volkswagen Taigun and Skoda Kushaq? This is something the pricing will exclaim. We can expect the prices of the VW Taigun to start from somewhere around ₹11 Lakhs and may go till ₹16 Lakhs, both being ex-showroom).