Going for long drives is one of the best ways to take a break from our daily humdrum existence and spend some memorable moment with our loved ones. And when we are on the go, we carry something’s which are essential for our journey. Our fully charged mobile, Bluetooth speaker, something to munch on and other required bits and pieces, so that our journey becomes a relaxing one. But aren’t you forgetting something really important? What about the car documents? We will show you how you can upload your car documents to DigiLocker.
It is common knowledge that whenever we go outside, we need to carry certain documents for any sort of inspection. Whether you break a traffic rule or for any sort of inspection, authorities demand the car documents.
What are the documents required to carry while driving in India?
Having the following list of documents is extremely important while going for a long drive or road trip:
- Registration Card (RC Book): RC or the registration card is the most important document of all as it allows the vehicle to be legally driven. This is mandatory for all types of inspection.
- Driving license: Driving without having a DL is a punishable offence. It should accompany you, whenever you are driving.
- Car Insurance papers: As per The Motor Vehicles Act 1998, every vehicle plying on the road should have a valid insurance cover. So whether you have a car or bike, you should carry this certificate at all times.
- PUC Certificate (Pollution Under Control): PUC or pollution under control certificate is mandatory for all vehicles as it shows that the gases emitted from your vehicle are up to the standards set by authorities.
Although these documents are very important for plying of vehicles on the road, at times we can forget to carry them, which can lead to the payment of fine as penalty.
How to upload your car documents in DigiLocker?
The new law passed by The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways can save you from carrying these crucial documents while travelling. It is not only beneficial for the public but also for the administrative overhead of government as these have minimized the use of paper. And as per the law, one can scan and save the original documents on DigiLocker, an application by the central government of India that aims to implement paperless governance.
- Download the DigiLocker App (Android Only) on your smartphone or visit the official website of DigiLocker.
- Signup using the phone number and validate using you Aadhaar
- Once at the dashboard, you need to click on the Upload button.
- Select the file you need to upload in the Upload File Dialog box.
- Select the type of the uploaded document from the dropdown list.
- After choosing the appropriate document type, click Save. You can also edit the name of the file using the Edit icon
What is DigiLocker?
Digilocker is a digital locker facility for the Indian citizens to store scanned and digital formats of documents and certificates thus eliminating the use of physical documents. It is a part of the digital India initiative of the current government.
While signing up for the account, it is mandatory to have an Aadhar (UIDAI) number. You will receive an OTP on your Aadhar-linked mobile number, which will be needed for sign-up.
DigiLocker | Frequently Asked Question
What are the benefits of using DigiLocker?
Some of the benefits of using DigiLocker are:
- You can easily access your digital documents anywhere, anytime thus saving time, paperwork, and getting your work done on the move.
- Reduction in the administrative overhead of the government by minimizing the use of paper, thus making the process hassle-free and environment-friendly.
- Makes validation of documents easier as they are issued directly by the valid users.
For uploading your car documents in the DigiLocker you can click on the upload icon and from the file upload dialogue box, locate the file and select ‘open’ to complete the uploading process.1