Responsible car owners are well aware of the frequent mini heart attacks we all go through when our cars are scratched or scuffed by other vehicles or roadblocks. The danger of getting the car’s paint scathed by even the most ordinary of contacts is always looming over our heads. Many car owners are also left in a dilemma when it comes to changing the appearance of their cars. Changing the colour or outer appearance can do wonders and make the car feel like a brand new vehicle. But repainting is quite expensive, especially if it is being done on an old car. This is where the concept of car wrap comes in to save the day.
Also Read: Paint Protection Film | All You Need To Know
What is Car Wrapping?
Wrapping your car has been around for quite some time now. Originally used only for advertising purposes only, it is now gaining traction to that feature on many cars. A wrap is a vinyl covering that is applied over the vehicle’s paintwork.
It is done in three phases which include designing, casting it into a sheet and finally vinyl wrapping.
Advantages of getting your car wrapped
Using a vinyl car wraps has a plethora of benefits. Not only can vinyl wrapping do wonders for the car graphics, but also has many practical advantages.
- Easy to Remove: You can easily remove car lamination by wrapping through products like 3M’s vinyl wrap if you decide that it doesn’t suit your taste or if you wish to get it changed. This does not damage the underlying paint in any way.
- Makes your vehicle unique: Cars tend to come in a slew of colours, all of which are repetitive shades. People looking for a unique look to their cars can go for attractive car graphics through vinyl wrapping and make it one of a kind.
- Does not affect the resale value: You may feel like such major modifications to the car will dampen its resale value but that is far from the truth. Wrapping your car has no effect on the resale value and can, in fact, keep it intact by protecting the underlying layer of paintwork.
- Can be done on windows: A great feature of vinyl car wraps is that they can be used on the windows as well. This ensures a complete makeover.
- Is easy to maintain: Wrapping your car with products like 3M vinyl wrap is extremely easy and affordable to maintain as one can simply re-apply the affected area by first sorting out the underlying paintwork.
- Takes less time: The installation time of vinyl car wraps is marginally lower than getting a car painted.
Also Read: Car Coating | Teflon Vs Ceramic
Car Wrapping: Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to get a car wrapped?
Wrapping can vary in price as per the material used, coverage required as well as the size of the vehicle. The price varies from as low as ₹10,000 to as high as ₹1,00,000 for good quality products.
- Is car wrapping more expensive than painting?
You can achieve a paint job for as less as ₹10,000 for the whole car but that would severely lack quality. Whereas, good quality car wraps start from ₹15,000 for a particular portion of the car. When it comes to painting or wrapping the entire vehicle with quality material, wrapping your car is the more economical solution.
- Do wraps damage the paint?
No. wraps do not damage the paint. In fact, wrapping your car with quality products like 3m vinyl wrap can act as a protective layer to shield the underlying paintwork from damages. Even removing the vinyl wraps does not damage the paint.
- Is the idea durable?
Wrapping your car is a great way of enhancing its overall aesthetics. However, it can get damaged and suffer more wear and tear compared to paint. The upside is, you can very easily swap the damaged part with a fresh new wrap.
- Is car wrapping legal in India?
If you retain the original colour of the vehicle (as in the RC), then YES, wrapping a car is legal in India. You can also wrap some parts of the car (rear-view mirror, bonnet, roof) in a different colour.
- Do I have to re-register my car, if I get it wrapped?
No, as long as you don’t change your car’s colours, against what mentioned in the RC. You are good to go.
Here is the difference between ceramic coating and paint protection film.
Also Read: Top 10 Car Maintenance Mistakes
A Comparison of the two processes:
|Car Wrapping||Car Painting|
|Cheaper to install||More expensive than the latter|
|Economical in the long run||Can prove to be costly in the long run, if damaged|
|Easy to maintain||Hard to maintain and is vulnerable to the elements|
|Can be applied to the windows||Cannot be applied to the windows|
|Easy to remove||Paint removal is hard and time-consuming|
|Super quick installation||Car painting can take more than 2 weeks|
|Keeps the car’s resale value intact||The resale value of the car varies. Depends on the paint condition.|