There have been many speculations that Maruti Suzuki is working upon at least 3-5 different models ranging from the 2-door Jimny SUV to the Wagon R EV for its future line-up to strengthen its position as India’s leading automobile manufacturer. According to Emkay Global Financial Services report, Maruti is planning to launch at least 3 new models in the next 2 years.
- The rumoured list of models includes the Maruti Suzuki XL5 (Wagon R based UV-styled hatchback) which has been spotted multiple times being tested on Indian roads, the Maruti Jimny and a new Hyundai Creta rival are said to be in the pipeline.
- Recently Maruti has also imported CKD kits of the Jimny SUV to India which suggest that the brand could launch the Mahindra Thar rival sometime this year.
- The Jimny is expected to come paired to a 1.5-litre K-Series petrol engine sourced from the Brezza.
- The engine is capable of producing 100bhp of power and 130Nm of peak torque. Transmission options on the Jimny will include a standard 5-speed manual and an optional 4-speed automatic gearbox.
- Moreover, the Indo-Japanese brand could also bring about its first EV and an additional 800cc hatchback set to replace the current-gen Maruti Suzuki Alto.
- Another model on the list is the new 2020 Maruti Suzuki S-Cross Petrol scheduled to launch sometime next month.
- Reports also suggest that Maruti could also bring back its BS6 compliant 1.5-litre diesel with the facelift variants of the Ciaz, Vitara Brezza, Ertiga and XL6.