It’s finally that time of the year again when car manufactures are more focused upon testing new cars for India. With that said, a test mule has been spotted testing being tested on Indian roads.
This test mule looks to be a mi-size sedan by german carmaker Skoda. Based on the report published by Autocar, this might be the new 2022 Skoda Rapid which is likely to hit Indian shores by the end of 2022.
However, looking at the current scenario and with Skoda postponing its launch of the Next-gen Skoda Octavia thing might go in a different direction.
Now, coming back to the topic, the test mule was spotted testing somewhere along the Mumbai-Pune highway. According to the report, the Next-gen Rapid will be based on the MQB-A0-IN platform. The report also claims that the Rapid could also be re-named.
Will it come with a new engine?
- Going by the article, it is speculated to offer TSI engines- 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine and a 1.5 TSI motor.
- The 1.0-litre engine is capable of making 115hp with 175Nm of peak torque
- While the 1.5 TSI motor produces 150hp and peak torque 250Nm
- Both the engine will come mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox or a 6-speed torque converter equipped automatic gearbox.
- With the class-leading power specification, we can also expect Skoda to offer an additional quick-shifting twin-clutch automatic gearbox with its new mid-size sedan.
- Coming to its dimension it will measure around 4,480mm in length with a boot space of 520 litres.
Any new updates in terms of features?
- Taking cues from the recently revealed Skoda Kushaq, the alleged 2022 Skoda Rapid will have features like an updated infotainment system with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, automatic climate control, premium sound system, auto headlamps, panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats and many more.
- The new Hyundai Verna rival is also expected to get the latest version of ‘My Skoda’ connected car tech.
What about pricing and rivals?
- Having a brief look at its overall specification we can expect the new sedan from Skoda to go head-to-head with the current-gen Rapid, might as weskodall replace it.
- Currently, the 2020 Skoda Rapid ranges from Rs 7.7-13.2 lakh and rials the likes of the Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Toyota Yaris and the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz.