Hyundai Starex has been spied testing in Finland. The spied one will be the third generation of Hyundai’s version of Kia Carnival. The Kia MPV is already on sale in India. Although much was not visible due to the camouflage, let’s find out what we know about it.
- If launched in India it will rival against Kia Carnival and Toyota Innova Crysta.
- It will be Hyundai’s first car in the ‘D’ segment. Hyundai has already made its presence in most of the segments in India.
- The Korean carmaker is already working towards the development of a new MPV which will rival the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga. Read here.
- A 2.2-litre diesel engine which produces 197hp of power and 440Nm of peak torque can power the 3rd-gen Hyundai Starex. The same engine powers the current Kia Carnival already on sale in India.
- You can expect Hyundai Starex to reach our shores by the end of 2021 or by the beginning of 2022.
At the Hyundai Creta launch, S S Kim, MD and CEO, Hyundai Motor India Ltd, said “We are very cautiously studying the feasibility of having something in that (D) segment. Our approach has much more focus on high occupancy vehicle type, which can be covered by an MPV, but at the same time they can be covered by any multi-seater vehicle.”
Will it be too late before Hyundai launches Starex in India? Will it be able to compete with the already well-established MPVs? What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below.