It seems that Mahindra just can’t let go of the XUV500 series. As just recently reports came that after the launch of the XUV700, Mahindra will discontinue the current-gen XUV500. But now leading media reports suggest that the desi super SUV will make its comeback in 2024 in a new avatar.
The Mahindra XUV500 has been a game-changer for the brand and has been part of the best selling SUVs in India since its launch in 2011. It not only helped the brand make its own space in the Maruti dominated auto sector but to date, the Mahindra XUV500 has been giving tough competition to its new and feature-loaded segment rivals- Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Jeep Compass and the MG Hector.
Now, according to a leading media report, Mahindra is planning upon re-introducing a revamped 5 seater Mahindra XUV500 slated to launch by 2024.
This project, internally codenamed Codenamed ‘S301’ was supposed to be a joint venture between Mahindra and Ford but after things got sour between both the brands. Mahindra plans to take things forward on their own.
With its launch, the new 2024 Mahindra XUV5000 will lock its horns with its existing rivals- Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos and the MG Hector.
How will it look?
- It is very likely that Mahindra could base the new 5-seater SUV500 on a slightly longer platform which underpins the XUV300.
- This means that Mahindra would ditch the initially planned Ford’s B772 platform.
- Going the existing stats, the next-gen Mahindra XUV500 would measure approx. 4.2-4.3 meter in length.
- On the mechanical front, we can expect it to boast 1.5-litre diesel and a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine upgraded to the soon to launch Base 6 Phase II norms.
- On the visual front, the 2024 iteration will look nothing like the current gen and will also boast a plethora of feature.
- We can expect to see a new front facia, received headlamp and taillamp setup, new alloy wheels, a single screen centre console, recliner front seats, dual-zone climate control etc.