The German car manufacturer, Volkswagen has finally unveiled the compact SUV, Taigun for the world. Taigun was first showcased at the AutoExpo last year. Also, if you are not aware, Volkswagen Taigun is the SUV that is designed and will be manufactured in India for India.
Volkswagen is counting on this SUV and they think will help increase the share of VW badged cars in India. Besides the badge, the Taigun is for sure a potent vehicle that will definitely unsettle the market of its competitors.
Whats’s unique about the Volkswagen Taigun?
As said earlier, the Taigun is the SUV that is designed in India for the global market.
- This compact SUV is based on the new MQB AO IN platform which also underpins the Skoda Kushaq.
- That said, the Kushaq and Taigun will share almost the same dimensions.
- Both the companies also say this platform will also underpin many upcoming vehicles in the Indian market including the new Volkswagen Polo.
What rests under the hood?
Volkswagen and Skoda group ditched the diesel engines after the implementation of the BS6 emission norms. So, this stays unchanged as the Volkswagen Taigun boasts of a couple of turbo petrol engines.
1.0-Litre TSI Engine
- The one that will be available in the lower variants is a 1.0-litre TSI motor that also does its job in Volkswagen Polo and Vento.
- This engine is capable of producing 110ps of max power and 175Nm of sheer torque. Setting the power down to the wheel will be an option of a 6-speed MT and a 6-speed AT (Torque Converter).
1.5-Litre TSI Motor
- The powerful one of the lot is a 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine that will be imported in India and that also does duties in the Volkswagen T-Roc.
- Coming mated to 6-speed MT and an exciting 7-speed DSG, this engine is capable of producing 150ps of max power and 250Nm of peak torque.
Is the Volkswagen Taigun feature-loaded?
Apart from the standard features like the automatic climate control, rear AC vents the Taigun also possesses,
- All LED headlamps.
- LED tail-lights with a light bar at the rear.
- A 10-inch infotainment system.
- Wireless smartphone connectivity.
- Cooled Glovebox.
- Wireless charging pad.
- Ventilated seats and more.
Safety features include
- Hill hold control
- Automatic headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Disc brakes all around
The Volkswagen Taigun will rival…
Like Skoda, Volkswagen Taigun is entering a segment that is ruled by the Koreans. If you haven’t guessed it already Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos sell like crazy in this compact SUV segment. Hence, the one from VW will have to do its homework right.
If we have to guess, the Volkswagen Taigun could be priced somewhere between ₹12 Lakhs to ₹18 Lakhs (Both ex-showroom). Volkswagen may bring this SUV to its showroom in the Q2 of 2021.
Interesting Read: 2021 Volkswagen Taigun Listed On The Official Website
What do you think of this new SUV from Volkswagen, is it enough to overtake Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos? Let us know in the comment section.